Stumped ???? Help

More
08 Mar 2012 11:03 #508517 by Bored
Stumped ???? Help was created by Bored
:unsure: My gpz 750 83 untrak i need help just fitted new top end cam chain reground the valves seals etc
put it all back together but for the life of me cannot get thw timing right followed the manual to the point were i thought it was printed wrong no matter what i do it will not time And now i have bent two more valves Really pissed off at the point need another idea i honestly think its the wriong cam chain but it all built back up and the only way of checking lenght by counting links or stripping it apart again i i had hair id be ripping it out by now thank u in advance rant over

Bored

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2012 12:14 #508525 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Stumped ???? Help
Do a search with your favorite search engine for something called the "GPz750 FAQ". In it you will find detailed instructions for setting the cam timing, much better than the manual.

KD9JUR

More
08 Mar 2012 15:36 #508553 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Stumped ???? Help
The 83 GPz750 uses the HyVo style cam chain. These chains are very robust and rarly need replacing. Also you have to split the cases to replace the HyVo style chain, they do not come with a master link, they are endless.
Did someone replace your engine with something else in the past or did you break a chain?

More
09 Mar 2012 12:05 #508727 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Stumped ???? Help

Z1 Enterprises

Surprised me when I found out about it too :P

KD9JUR

More
09 Mar 2012 13:03 #508733 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Stumped ???? Help
Thanks Steell, had no idea and I have looked over the years.

More
18 Mar 2012 01:13 - 18 Mar 2012 01:17 #510353 by Diesel-Dr.
Replied by Diesel-Dr. on topic Stumped ???? Help
sorry i know this topic is old but have you tried rotating the cams 1 turn. sounds to me like your 360 degrees off on your timing. maby not though its been a while sense i had to time one.
the number of chain links doesn't matter as long as the chain fits. the gearing is all in the sprockets the chain is just used to connect the sprockets together.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2012 01:17 by Diesel-Dr.. Reason: add

• H-60MGuy
  • User
  • 1985 GPz 750 Streetfighter
More
18 Mar 2012 02:12 #510359 by H-60MGuy
Replied by H-60MGuy on topic Stumped ???? Help
I can understand your frustration. I eyeballed and studied up on my 85 GPz 750 for months before i built up the confidence to assemble it from the connecting rods-up.

We got it right the first time, using the factory manual.

If you post some pictures of what your cams look like when you have it "in time" based on cam gear positions and crankshaft position, I'm very confident that someone here can guide you in the right direction.

"See, what had happened was.........."

More
18 Mar 2012 13:02 #510428 by TorreyJ
Replied by TorreyJ on topic Stumped ???? Help
you can't be 360 degrees off. that makes no sense. stop, step back and think about what you're saying. it makes no sense.

More
18 Mar 2012 14:37 #510440 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Stumped ???? Help

TorreyJ wrote: you can't be 360 degrees off. that makes no sense. stop, step back and think about what you're saying. it makes no sense.

"I turned Right four times and I'm still in the same place!!" :blush:

When in time, top dead center no 1 and 4, your end cylinders cam lobes will point at or away from each other depending on which cylinder you look at, if that helps.

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

More
18 Mar 2012 15:26 #510447 by Diesel-Dr.
Replied by Diesel-Dr. on topic Stumped ???? Help
you really can the crank turns twice per cam revolution if the cam is on the wrong revolution you start bending valves. trust me i rebuild engines for a living i know how they work.

More
18 Mar 2012 18:23 #510475 by TorreyJ
huh. makes sense. I don't think you'll bend valves thought. this isn't an interference fit engine. I'm not super well versed on Moto's but I do have an ASE and I'm and A$P Mechanic, so I have a pretty good Idea of how things work. I know this $400 bike has been more of a pain in the @ss more than anything else I've ever worked on. I time it per the Book and have no compression. the 360 out sounds crazy but may be my problem. I scream regularly when working on this beast. sometimes it helps...I think you may hold the answer. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

More
18 Mar 2012 18:32 #510479 by TorreyJ
p.s. is there a way to know if you're working with the correct time or a rev out? also, I know it's in there, but are you supposed to line up the T or the F mark? Like T|F|1-4 what' the proper alignment for TDC timing. seems like I remmeber it being the F but that makes no sense. thanks again.