Smoke from exhaust ports

• DigitalRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Mar 2012 01:38 #508254 by DigitalRider
Smoke from exhaust ports was created by DigitalRider
I recently replaced the valve cover gasket, cam end plugs, and o-rings/plug for tach cable. I also removed the exhaust and replaced the copper gaskets inside the ports. I got everything reassembled and fired it up. It sounds better than it ran before, however there is white smoke coming from the exhaust where it hooks into the engine. There is no smoke coming from the end of the exhaust, and the engine does not "pop" when I shut it off (signifying it is overheated).

Any thoughts as to what is causing this smoke? It doesn't just go away after a few minutes, and when I was riding it before working on it, it would continue to smoke at stop lights.

One thing to note: I've discovered a small oil leak in the bearings o-ring behind the clutch cover. Could it be that the engine is just thirsty for oil? I recently changed the oil and put in 3 qts, but I don't think the oil leak is enough to fill an 8 oz cup over the course of a week.

Should also add I pulled a spark plug and it looked good and in line with the manual specs.

Any help is appreciated. This is pretty much the last thing keeping me from trusting this thing to get me around town! :)

Attachment DSCN0146_2012-03-06.JPG not found

1981 KZ750 E-2
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2012 02:27 #508260 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Smoke from exhaust ports
I'd pull the exhaust, and see if there is a carbon build up, or old copper crush washers or parts of them left in the ports.Check the pipes mating surface for the ports, looking for gaps, or uneven surfaces.

I'm wondering if a leaky tach cable seal is causing the oil burning smoke too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Mar 2012 02:43 #508263 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Smoke from exhaust ports
above ur exhaust looks a darker color than the rest of the motor, could be oil seepage from the valve cover hitting the exhaust causing the smoke

More
07 Mar 2012 09:36 - 07 Mar 2012 09:36 #508287 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Smoke from exhaust ports

DigitalRider wrote: I recently replaced ... o-rings/plug for tach cable....

:unsure: Does this mean the stock tach drive (housing and shaft) has been replaced with a plug which eliminates the tach drive?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Mar 2012 09:36 by Patton.

• DigitalRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Mar 2012 16:05 #508563 by DigitalRider
Replied by DigitalRider on topic Smoke from exhaust ports
Thanks for the replies so far. To clarify, the stock tach drive is still in there, I just replaced the o-ring that seals where the tach screws into the engine. There's also a black rubber "plug" in the tach drive that I replaced.
I checked the exhaust ports thoroughly for grime or deposits before putting the exhaust back on. The old copper gaskets came out in one piece, so no chance of something like that. My next step is going to be washing the top part of the engine to clear away any oil. Hopefully this will clear up whether or not it isn't just oil that is burning. It wouldn't be a head gasket, would it???

1981 KZ750 E-2

More
08 Mar 2012 17:06 #508578 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Smoke from exhaust ports
With tach drive cable detached, there should be no oil leakage at the tach drive unit in the head.

Where oil leakage appears in vicinity of the tach drive unit in the head, it is usually due to a failed o'ring or seal. Z1E carries both very inexpensive items.

The o'ring fits around the tach drive housing to prevent oil from escaping around the tach housing.

The seal fits inside the tach housing where the seal surrounds the tach drive shaft and prevents oil from escaping along the shaft as the shaft spins inside the housing.

Where the tach drive shaft seal is leaking and allowing oil to escape through the seal, it may be possible to contain the escaping oil within the tach drive cable sheath by assuring a leak-free connection where the cable attaches to the tach housing. And while this may temporarily contain the escaped oil inside the cable instead of being allowed to drip onto the engine, it doesn't resolve the leaking seal issue.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Mar 2012 19:07 #508608 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Smoke from exhaust ports
so ur saying u reused the old exhaust gaskets ???/

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
08 Mar 2012 19:24 #508614 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Smoke from exhaust ports
if the smoking persists , try to retighten the bolts but do not break them.
It is common to have to retorque the bolts, as the gaskets compress more,after a few rides.
If that doesn’t help, i would remove the header and look at the gaskets. look to see if the black soot is passing around the gasket somewhere. If it is, try new gaskets, or double gaskets. Z1e has dif gaskets avail from dif bikes, that r thicker. This is another option.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• DigitalRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Mar 2012 00:00 #508812 by DigitalRider
No, I used new exhaust gaskets from Z1.

1981 KZ750 E-2

• DigitalRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Mar 2012 00:14 #508818 by DigitalRider
Thanks again to the suggestions. It's actually quelling my fears that something may be wrong internally, even though there wasn't any knocking or other sounds that would make me think that. Anyways, tomorrow I'm replacing the o-ring to the clutch bearing cover(not sure if that's what it's called, it's behind the clutch cover next to the front sprocket). Anyways, gonna replace the o-ring because it is causing a slow oil leak. Then I'll reassemble and start figuring this out.

I'll keep everyone up to date so you know your suggestions aren't in vane! :P

1981 KZ750 E-2

• DigitalRider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Apr 2012 23:34 #513495 by DigitalRider
So, I realized I didn't provide an update. Basically nothing was wrong. I discovered that the smoking was oil that seemed to have dripped on to the exhaust when I had to let out some oil (I overfilled). Some degreaser, a good washing and no more smoke. :-)

1981 KZ750 E-2