• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
22 Jan 2012 20:22 #499466 by ed spangler
Spark Plugs was created by ed spangler
Greetings!
Got a question for you to ponder, have a '75 Z1-B 900 has over 58K miles on it, obviously rings are not as good as they once were...so....if B8ES is stock plug and bike isn't lean, would running a little hotter plug ..say a B7ES hurt? Your thoughts? Even hotter?

Just trying to get a little more mileage out of it before an overhaul!!
Regards
TennesseeZ

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2012 05:24 #499561 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Spark Plugs
Stick with what you have ED (B8ES) for a hotter plug isn't necessarily going to buy you additional miles before the top end overhaul. Possibly do more damage then good especially at higher speeds.

The OEM manual warns of hotter plugs (B7ES), they did that for a reason. After I've vaporized a piston and destroyed my engine top end :pinch: :whistle: :pinch: you don't want to go there... No, I wasn't running hotter plugs but it has made me think about performance builds a hell of a lot more for a street rider.

If you have ideal spark plug conditions (Base ring lightly sooted, ground strap 50/50, ceramic light brown to light charcoal gray etc...) then ride her till she drops or better yet, get off you ass old man and get the top end overhauled... :laugh:

Just my two worthless cents... :blush: :laugh:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
24 Jan 2012 15:20 #499828 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Spark Plugs

Old Man Rock wrote: Stick with what you have ED (B8ES) for a hotter plug isn't necessarily going to buy you additional miles before the top end overhaul. Possibly do more damage then good especially at higher speeds.

The OEM manual warns of hotter plugs (B7ES), they did that for a reason. After I've vaporized a piston and destroyed my engine top end :pinch: :whistle: :pinch: you don't want to go there... No, I wasn't running hotter plugs but it has made me think about performance builds a hell of a lot more for a street rider.

If you have ideal spark plug conditions (Base ring lightly sooted, ground strap 50/50, ceramic light brown to light charcoal gray etc...) then ride her till she drops or better yet, get off you ass old man and get the top end overhauled... :laugh:

Just my two worthless cents... :blush: :laugh:

OMR

Yup, good advice ;)

Run it in the higher rpms a little more if your plugs are dark and see what happens. Wouldnt use hotter plug - even with oil intrusion, its the age old trick to kill a half-decent motor. :laugh:

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
24 Jan 2012 15:56 - 24 Jan 2012 15:58 #499840 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Spark Plugs

ed spangler wrote: ... '75 Z1-B 900 has over 58K miles on it, obviously rings are not as good as they once were...so....if B8ES is stock plug and bike isn't lean, would running a little hotter plug ..say a B7ES hurt? Your thoughts? Even hotter?
Just trying to get a little more mileage out of it before an overhaul!....

Would concur with others in urging NOT to run a hotter plug.

With brand new plugs, does the bike perform well on all four cylinders (at least until a plug fouls out)?

Is there lots of blue smoke from the exhaust?

Is there a lot of smoke from the crankcase breather?

Is it for certain that the plugs are oil fouling, and that the fuel mixture isn't too rich and thereby adding more black deposits on the plug?

If not already done, would assure both oil and filter are fresh.
And with fat-blue properly timed sparks.
And that valve clearances are within specs.
And that air filter is clean and free from any obstruction.

If not recently done, would perform the clear tube test to assure float bowl fuel levels are correct (especially not too high).

After all above items have been attended, could experiment by slightly leaning the pilot circuit (turn each pilot air screw out counter-clockwise, say 1/4 turn) to see whether the leaner mixture might help avoid early plug fouling.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 Jan 2012 15:58 by Patton.

More
30 Mar 2012 17:32 #513060 by LukeMacPU
Replied by LukeMacPU on topic Spark Plugs
I may be fighting a similar battle. I've been working toward putting a bike back on the road after at least a decade of not being ridden.

I've had some timing troubles, and may have over choked it to start the last time?

Seems to want to drop out a cylinder (plug fouled) at lower rpms. Rev it up or ride faster and it clears up. Came back on the way to work this morning. Didn't want to limp it home on 3 and risk damage.

Plugs just look black on cylinder 4. Suspected ignition coil problems, replaced with new and new wires. Plug still fouled after about a 10 mile ride as leisurely traffic pace. Stays good if I'm on the gas more.

How do I diagnose oil vs. carb adjustment?

'75 Z1B - work in progress