Kick start backlash

More
18 Jan 2012 19:11 #498707 by KZCool
Kick start backlash was created by KZCool
My Bike seems to have a probem with having a hard time starting and kicking back to the point of throwing my leg off. Then when it finally starts up, it'll sometimes die and not kick over at all. I think the timg might be too advanced, but it runs like crap if I retard it. Its a KZ750 B1 if that helps. Also anyone know of a compatable petcock, preferaby vacume? Mine leaks even though I rebuilt it and seems to cause a lot of problems with my carbs overflowing when it sits.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2012 20:55 #498733 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kick start backlash
Regarding the timing, have you checked to see if the timing advancer is lubed and operates smoothly?

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Jan 2012 00:40 #498798 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic Kick start backlash
Yeah,I bought a NOS one last year cause my old one didnt fit my Dyna S system, and the springs were wore out. This one is great though. I do have the original coil though with the usual relay mod for these bikes. that wouldn't throw the timing off though. I might get the Dyna s coil though cause its a 3 ohm instead of my current 4. Would this make the bike run smoother and have less problems starting?

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
19 Jan 2012 00:54 #498805 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kick start backlash

KZCool wrote: ... bought a NOS one last year cause my old one didnt fit my Dyna S system....

Strange :huh: as the existing advancer is usually retained when converting from stock to Dyna-S ignition.

Did the issues occur spontaneously on a previously good running engine, or immediately after the ignition modifications?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
19 Jan 2012 10:25 #498853 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Kick start backlash
Just throwing in my two cents here, and I'm ignoring the ignition related issues. You say that your petcock is leaking which is causing overflow issues on the carbs. That tells me that the fuel which is leaking past your petcock is also leaking past your float valves in the carbs. In this scenerio, the fuel will flood a cylinder.

Lots of bad things can happen here. Fuel can leak past the rings and contaminate your oil which isn't good for bearings or transmission gears. Have you noticed your oil level rising recently? Does the oil smell of gasolene? The other really bad thing that can happen is the gasolene being held in the cylinder and "hydro-locking" that particular cylinder. I would bet that a certain amount of that is happening since you are describing the kick starter kicking back. What is happening is that you are trying to compress a fluid (gasolene) that will not compress when you try and kick start the bike. If the fuild cannot escape a well sealed cylinder it usually results in a bent connecting rod.

I hope that I am wrong, but you definantly need to repair the fuel leakage issues for safe operation in any case. I would suggest that you make a phone call to Z1 Enterprises. I'm sure that they can fix you up with the proper petcock for your bike.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
19 Jan 2012 11:39 #498871 by KZCool
thanks for the petcock advice. I do need to get a new one, luckily my carb's overflow passages are clear. But as for my ignition, I dont believe there was a difference from when i installed it. It was made for my bike, the only difference of the two was the old one's post for the lobe was smaller and allowed the Dyna s advancer to wiggle. The new one had new springs so they are tighter and the post is thicker too and fits t new ignition much better.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
23 Jan 2012 00:39 #499523 by KZCool
"BUMP"

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
08 May 2012 14:32 #520732 by KZCool
If anyone is even still looking into this forum, I recently got everything going, and runs great just waitning on a new battery. I do have a small concern though. I rebuilt my starter clutch and it works great. Turns the engine over no problem, but it doesnt start with it. Then I tried the kickstart and it started. I killed it and trie t start it with the kickstart alone and it kicked back again and a small amount of smoke came out of the carbs area. This worries me because of all the gasoline in the carbs. I used the starter again and nothing, then the kickstart and started right up. Any thought why the starter wouldn't work?

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
08 May 2012 16:52 #520762 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Kick start backlash

KZCool wrote: t just waitning on a new battery.

If the battery is weak, the starter motor will take so much juice that the ignition will not provide the necessary spark. A good battery is essential to easy starting and good running.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
08 May 2012 20:40 #520812 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Kick start backlash
My KZ650 B1 had similar starting problems. Turn OFF the head light if using the starter. Mine would kick over everytime but the starter would not start it. Dyna coils and ignition fixed it for me but I still have to turn the headlight off

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
09 May 2012 01:57 #520911 by KZCool
Thanks for the nput guys. Can't wait to get my new battery and try it out. And i've been thinking about getting a new dyna coil. I have the ignition system but a stock coil with the mod to pull power straight from the battery. 4 ohlm coil with a 3 ohlm system.

1976 KZ750 hardtail