• Page:

TOPIC:

Bike Stalls on Right Turn - Throttle cable? 28 Oct 2005 12:01 #4959

• TwinTurboTalons
  • TwinTurboTalons's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,
I have an 81 440LTD which I purchased new. It has less than 4,000 original miles on it. That tells you how long it sat. I am not mechanically inclined and just need an option before I pay $$. We recently got the bike running - yay! I went down the block and each time I made a right turn it stalled. I looked and it seems that the throttle cable is moving when I make a right turn - very simple right. How do you adjust this so that the bike does not stall on a right turn. Left turns are okay. If this is really stupid, please excuse and I'll go pay them $$ for me being stupid. Thanks for the space.:silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike Stalls on Right Turn - Throttle cable? 28 Oct 2005 12:09 #4960

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
I'm taking a guess here but I think I'd be inclined to look for and electrical problem and maybe check for worn wire in the ignition circuit which goes through the kill switch. I think I'd try putting the bike on the centre stand, run the engine and turn the bars while watching for any movement or pinching in the wires running from the kill switch area.

Regarding throttle cable adjustment you should find something here www.kz400.com/index.html

Post edited by: jr, at: 2005/10/28 15:12
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Bike Stalls on Right Turn - Throttle cable? 28 Oct 2005 12:19 #4961

• hat0791
  • User
Hmmm, if it were the throttle was closing in a right turn, you should be able to counter it by twisting the throttle further....

Like JR said, Sit on the motorcycle with it running and in neutral (not moving) and turn the handlebars back and forth as far as they will g. If the engine speed increases/decreases then you've either got a throttle cable problem, or, if it dies completely, the you may have an ignition related wire that is gounding out on the forks or tripple clamp...

If you do not encounter a problem while turning the handlebars, then do the same thing, only insted of turning the handlebars, lean the bike over at about a 45-50 degree angle to the left and then to the right. (it helps to have a friend to assist in holding the motorcycle up)

If it dies when you lean it, you probably have a fuel delivery problem.

Let us know what you find!!!

Post edited by: hat0791, at: 2005/10/28 15:22

Bike Stalls on Right Turn - Throttle cable? 28 Oct 2005 13:21 #4973

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
The two prior posts are right on.

Your bike is low mileage, so this may not apply, but if it by doing what is described above you decide it is likely an electrical problem, you may need to open up the outer insulation on your wiring harness as it passes from under the tank forward at the steering head. Continual flexing of the wires at that point caused some wires to break inside the insulation resulting in the same type of electrical issue on my KZ750H. when I turned, the ignition and lights would all go out, until I returned the bars to straight ahead. Of course, my bike has a lot more miles than yours, so that may not be your issue.

If you do not have a good wiring diagram for your bike, I suggest you get one. Tracing electrical problems without one is nearly impossible.

Post edited by: apeman, at: 2005/10/28 16:22
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Bike Stalls on Right Turn - Throttle cable? 28 Oct 2005 14:36 #4992

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
I like the electrical theory best. I had the same thing, it turned out to be a wire to the coil was getting loose when I turned right also.

Bike Stalls on Right Turn - Throttle cable? 01 Nov 2005 12:12 #5941

• TwinTurboTalons
  • TwinTurboTalons's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Hey! Thanks a bunch for the ideas (and I thought my question was silly). The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend (as opposed to the snow last) so we'll check out your theories and let you know what happens as soon as we determine;)

• Page: