Mac headers for 83 KZ440

More
29 Dec 2011 09:56 #495107 by Jajao555
Mac headers for 83 KZ440 was created by Jajao555
My headers were pitted really bad so I got new headers and mufflers from Mac. I'm having a problem fitting them though. The Mac pipes have a different clamp and the spacers that hold the pipe in the port are too big. Here are a few pics.

You can see my new exhaust gasket the ring clamp and the 2 half circle spacers. The header has a different mount attached to it than stock.

Exhaust port

Original setup

The header is too wide for the spacers to fit in I'm thinking I can just use some other material instead I don't know what though.

I'm also having a problem fitting the circle clamp on because without I would have to cut the end of the pipe. I'd rather put a longer stud in.

What do you guys think of this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2011 10:38 - 29 Dec 2011 10:42 #495115 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Mac headers for 83 KZ440

Jajao555 wrote: My headers were pitted really bad so I got new headers and mufflers from Mac. I'm having a problem fitting them though. The Mac pipes have a different clamp and the spacers that hold the pipe in the port are too big. Here are a few pics.

You can see my new exhaust gasket the ring clamp and the 2 half circle spacers. The header has a different mount attached to it than stock.

Exhaust port

Original setup

The header is too wide for the spacers to fit in I'm thinking I can just use some other material instead I don't know what though.

I'm also having a problem fitting the circle clamp on because without I would have to cut the end of the pipe. I'd rather put a longer stud in.

What do you guys think of this?

:unsure: Am not clearly understanding the fitment issues.

Did Mac furnish installation instructions with the new exhaust system specifically identified for 1983 KZ440?

Is outside diameter of Mac header pipe different than o.d. of stock pipes?

Does inside curvature of half circle spacers conform to outside curvature of Mac header pipes?

Were new half circle spacers not furnished along with the new exhaust system?

Was there nothing in instatllation instructions about needing to modify the existing half circle spacers?

The sunburst clamp appears unnecessary in the new system.
Maybe the half circle spacers are also unnecessary in the new system.

Are the Mac clamps permanently affixed in position on the header pipes? Or do they move back and forth like the original sunburst clamps?

Perhaps the Mac system is designed to bolt on with only the new gasket, and without any old parts.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Dec 2011 10:42 by Patton.

More
29 Dec 2011 11:26 #495125 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Mac headers for 83 KZ440
Yes,Mac does not use the Sunburst.
And new spacers from Mac are a different length than stock,at least they where on the pipe I bought new for a KZ650.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
29 Dec 2011 14:49 #495150 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Mac headers for 83 KZ440
Mac pipes don't use the sunbursts (stock collars) or the spacers on the KZ twins, the flange is welded to the pipe and bolts to the motor using the stock studs.

Usually you have to spread the pipes a little to get them on.

KD9JUR

More
31 Dec 2011 10:43 #495428 by Jajao555
Replied by Jajao555 on topic Mac headers for 83 KZ440
I got them on I just put the gasket in and tightened them without the the spacers and stock collar everything fit pretty good. I haven't started it yet so I'll have to see if I can find any leaks and I'll post some pics up.

Thanks guys.

More
21 Aug 2017 20:46 #769416 by DSchneid
Replied by DSchneid on topic Mac headers for 83 KZ440
Just a shot in the dark as this is an old Post. Any luck with the exhaust? I'm having the same issue and wanted to know if you are getting any exhaust leak.

More
05 Jun 2020 15:40 #827392 by 80kzer
Replied by 80kzer on topic Mac headers for 83 KZ440
I'm having the same problem as well. The inside has 1 inch of space to the gasket and the new Mac 2 to 1 is an 1 5/8? How is that suppose to fit without a spacer or that starburst piece?