sea foam in oil??no reason?

More
22 May 2006 03:27 #49039 by rickj
sea foam in oil??no reason? was created by rickj
Absent symptoms- is there a reason to put some in my oil- I put it in my gas when I thought that I had a sticky something in the carb (some gas blown around) and it seems fine now. I just added more for the fish (for the halibut :whistle: ) You'all in my search like it for improved gas mileage too.

As far as my oil-search didn't find a lot of foam in oil threads- the previous owner says it burns a bit (a LOT on all day highway) but I have no real synptoms- and I JUST changed the oil and filter- so I don't want to totally mess that too- would there be any benefit? (the bike has 44000 miles on it.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2006 06:14 #49069 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic sea foam in oil??no reason?
I just know firsthand about getting increased gas mileage. I did however add half a bottle to my oil about 20 miles before an oil change. I read somewhere it will loosen or dilute sludge and keep the inside clean. I suppose regular oil changes would do that anyway, and if it had sludge, would I really want it loosened up and circulating in the engine?

I'm up in the air about adding it to an old engine.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
22 May 2006 06:22 #49072 by rickj
Replied by rickj on topic sea foam in oil??no reason?
OKC_Kent wrote:

I'm up in the air about adding it to an old engine.

You mean in the oil-or adding to gas also in old engines? b I think it did some good in the gas- oil- I dunno...and I'm not SURE how often the oil was changed throughout the life of the bike- it seems to be well maintained- but it's also my first bike- and I'm easily impressed!!

More
22 May 2006 06:46 #49077 by 1973Z
Replied by 1973Z on topic sea foam in oil??no reason?
My dealer advised putting no more than 1/3 can in the crank case and run it 15 minutes, then change oil. I don't know if it did anything or not, it sure didn't hurt. They said it would clean out any deposits that didn't drain out in the last oil change. I change oil and filter often, anyway, every thousand miles.

More
22 May 2006 16:04 #49206 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic sea foam in oil??no reason?
Excellent in the fuel system...improvement in gas mileage, yes...never tried it in the crankcase but "the can" says it is ok although this may just be a theory...sounds plausible in small doses.