Loctite on case bolts??? Or antiseize?

More
25 Oct 2011 12:21 #485269 by kmberjo
I guess the subject speaks for itself--seems like a low strength would be a good idea--Blue 242 or 243.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2011 12:27 - 25 Oct 2011 12:28 #485270 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Loctite on case bolts??? Or antiseize?
no need for thread locking in case bolts, you are worrrying for nothing... :)

if anything, make sure you dont overtorque and strip threads
Last edit: 25 Oct 2011 12:28 by turboguzzi.

More
25 Oct 2011 12:37 #485272 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Loctite on case bolts??? Or antiseize?
Yeah, just jam em in there. They most likely wont get stuck. Mine weren't stuck after 32 years.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
25 Oct 2011 13:03 #485273 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Loctite on case bolts??? Or antiseize?
Definitely not loctite.

I've been using antiseize for years on case bolts. It helps in these rainy climates. The steel bolts, after their plating gets scratched from a few removals, will cement together with the aluminum case threads with just a little bit of water.

More
25 Oct 2011 15:11 #485293 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Loctite on case bolts??? Or antiseize?
never had problems in 30 uears and around here they do use anticing salt on the roads and i do ride in freezing weather.

if you do go for antiseize (no manual will tell you to do so) be REALLY careful with torque as it is essentially also a lubricantand and the handbook dry torque values will be too high.

unless you live AND ride in freezing weather, no need, IMHO of course.

More
25 Oct 2011 21:10 #485339 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Loctite on case bolts??? Or antiseize?
Look in the torque table in your Kawasaki service manual. It is very specific as to which bolts require non-permanent locking agent. Don't bother using it on the others as you will only be inviting trouble. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 May 2012 15:49 #521575 by SlowRide
Replied by SlowRide on topic Loctite on case bolts??? Or antiseize?

loudhvx wrote: Definitely not loctite.

I've been using antiseize for years on case bolts. It helps in these rainy climates. The steel bolts, after their plating gets scratched from a few removals, will cement together with the aluminum case threads with just a little bit of water.

What torque values do you use? I have one case already with several broken bolts in it, Im going to use anti-seize this time.

More
11 May 2012 16:53 #521585 by Injected

More
11 May 2012 17:39 #521590 by 650ed
Use the torque values specified in the Kawasaki Service Manual. The only exception I am aware of is the cam caps. For those, ask for the correct value on this site prior to torquing because depending on which bike/model/manual you have manual may have too high a value. This has led to some stripped bolt holes in the cylinder head. I have always torqued bolts near the low end of the torque range and have not yet experienced any stripped threads. Using anti-seize is not an absolute necessity, but it is not a bad idea where bolts are going into the aluminum engine. On a related not; the cross head screws that look like Phillips and NOT Phillips. They are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) and using Phillips screwdriver tips on them will quickly ruin them. See:

kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/519588-tips#519601

and
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/452802-loud-c...hile-cranking#452872

Ed

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
11 May 2012 19:41 #521624 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Loctite on case bolts??? Or antiseize?

kmberjo wrote: I guess the subject speaks for itself--seems like a low strength would be a good idea--Blue 242 or 243.

I would use the green, wicking stuff so that you're sure it gets all the way in there. Wouldn't want the motor to fall apart while riding now would we. Don't worry about what the manual says pertaining to this as I'm pretty sure that the engineer that worked a 1000 hours deciding where to put fasteners and what to use for lubricant and torque had his head firmly up his ass.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

More
11 May 2012 19:53 #521629 by VenturaRider
Replied by VenturaRider on topic Loctite on case bolts??? Or antiseize?

andy9802gt wrote:

kmberjo wrote: I guess the subject speaks for itself--seems like a low strength would be a good idea--Blue 242 or 243.

I would use the green, wicking stuff so that you're sure it gets all the way in there. Wouldn't want the motor to fall apart while riding now would we. Don't worry about what the manual says pertaining to this as I'm pretty sure that the engineer that worked a 1000 hours deciding where to put fasteners and what to use for lubricant and torque had his head firmly up his ass.

Yipeee! more fun with goop! I'm off to the Home Depot for a selection of masons trowels to apply it. :woohoo:

Box stock 75 Z1900
74 Z1900
Ventura Ca.

More
11 May 2012 20:06 #521634 by 650ed
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Nah, we don't need no stinkin' goop; heck, we don't even need bolts! Just weld everything together! That ought to hold 'er. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: