Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

750 twin exhaust cam on intake 17 May 2006 15:25 #48061

• steell
  • steell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Using an exhaust cam in place of the intake was discussed some time ago (on the 750 twins), since the exhaust cam has more duration than the intake cam.

One thing no one thought about was the tach drive gear on the exhaust cam makes it entirely to long to fit :(

A variable speed sawsall with a metal cutting blade takes care of that, just use lot's of lube and run at slow speed.
Now it fits :D

I'll let everyone know how it works when I get it put back together.
KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

750 twin exhaust cam on intake 17 May 2006 21:15 #48150

• agawam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I found that out also, and am going to do just what you did, I got a brand new exhaust cam off ebay a while back . i also figure that with the extra lift and duration the exhaust has Im going to open up the exhaust port quite a bit and maybe change the pipes to a longer gentiler curve to compensate

750 twin exhaust cam on intake 18 May 2006 10:04 #48237

• steell
  • steell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Have you found a source for valve seals? Z1 don't list them, and with Jeff being so busy right now I hesitate to bother him. Seems like there ought to be some from a different manufacturer that would work though.

Another point of concern is valve shims, Z1 only lists them from a minimum 2.60 and thicker, and every head I have will require thinner ones after lapping the valves.
The manual is a little confusing when stating the maximum that can be ground off the valve stem to increase clearance, at one place it states .3mm while another page says .5mm, guess it's a case of looking at each valve and making a "best guess".

The head is the hold up right now, I should have it done today and then put the motor back together, then I have to figure out what to do about fuel.

Wish I had a flycutter for my mill, then I'd shave the head for increased compression also. Just have to do another head later I guess :(

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/05/18 13:06
KD9JUR

• Page: