Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Little Tip When Installing Valve Keepers 16 May 2006 21:53 #47924

• reborn650
  • reborn650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Gang- I finished up the 650's head porting and polishing tonight including Mark Wing's suggestion for matching the header diameter, exhaust gasket and exhaust ports. Looks pretty good. Thanks Mark.

When re-assembling the head and valvetrain I put a little dab of grease on the valve keepers to hold them in place when the springs were compressed, then released. The grease kept the keepers perfectly in place.

If anyone is re-doing some valve work this is a guaranteed way to make the job less frustrating. Keep it in mind.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

'77 Kz 650 Custom - (Miss July on 2006 Kzr Calendar-Last year’s project Wiseco 700) Newest rebuild includes Wiseco 810 kit, Kz750 cams, Kz750 intake valves, 750 GPz springs, Ported head, WG Mikuni 28's, Velocity Stacks, Dyna Ignition and coils, MAC pipe, 14 tooth front sprocket. Returning to original '77 Moon Dust Silver. Goal is to have a stock-looking, ultra-sleeper bike that will tighten up any loose dental fillings off the light and surprise other, bigger bikes.
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Little Tip When Installing Valve Keepers 16 May 2006 22:24 #47931

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Cool, hope it all goes together as easy. Can't wait to hear how it runs.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

A Little Tip When Installing Valve Keepers 17 May 2006 00:20 #47938

• gas
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
reborn650 wrote:

Hey Gang- I finished up the 650's head porting and polishing tonight including Mark Wing's suggestion for matching the header diameter, exhaust gasket and exhaust ports. Looks pretty good. Thanks Mark.

When re-assembling the head and valvetrain I put a little dab of grease on the valve keepers to hold them in place when the springs were compressed, then released. The grease kept the keepers perfectly in place.

If anyone is re-doing some valve work this is a guaranteed way to make the job less frustrating. Keep it in mind.

Cool, got any pics? I don't have the guts to mess with my valves in that manner yet. I won't touch that stuff until I have back up parts, in case I bugger something. I've recently located a 76 650 rotting in a boat/atv dealership yard though........

'77 Kz 650 Custom - (Miss July on 2006 Kzr Calendar-Last year’s project Wiseco 700) Newest rebuild includes Wiseco 810 kit, Kz750 cams, Kz750 intake valves, 750 GPz springs, Ported head, WG Mikuni 28's, Velocity Stacks, Dyna Ignition and coils, MAC pipe, 14 tooth front sprocket. Returning to original '77 Moon Dust Silver. Goal is to have a stock-looking, ultra-sleeper bike that will tighten up any loose dental fillings off the light and surprise other, bigger bikes.

Keeper tip, I'll copy this one. I don't have the guts to mess with my valves yet. I want back up parts before I do, in case I bugger something. I have recently found a 76 650 rotting outside in the mud and bushes at an ATV dealership though........

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/05/17 03:24

A Little Tip When Installing Valve Keepers 17 May 2006 04:51 #47948

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
one note, make sure you clean all the grease off the top of the valve before you check your clearances, if not you will play !@$# trying to set the valves
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

A Little Tip When Installing Valve Keepers 17 May 2006 09:07 #47985

• reborn650
  • reborn650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
BSKZ650 wrote:

one note, make sure you clean all the grease off the top of the valve before you check your clearances, if not you will play !@$# trying to set the valves

I agree with BSK. You don't want to put anything in your valvetrain that will throw off any measurements. I used a Q-Tip to apply a very thin film of grease to the bottom of the keeper. Once placed, they stayed where they should. When I released the valve spring compressor, the keepers seated into the valve grooves correctly, without any grease coming up throug the top.

Like Brylcream hair grease used to say...just a little dab will do ya. Maybe Harley owners can use Brylcream instead of all-purpose bearing grease or vice versa:)

I also had put a generous amount of motorcycle oil in the valve guides and had lightly lubed the springs.

I also noticed that when putting the valves and springs back together I discovered that some of the lifter buckets weren't settling in as easy as they should, even after oiling the chambers and lifters. I lightly ran some very fine, 320 grit (wet-style sandpaper) around the inside of the lifter chambers to smooth the inside. The lifters then easily snuggled into place.

It is also important to remember to release the spring compressor slowly, trying to keep the springs centered so the lifter buckets will go on even and line up straight.

Just a few little pointers to keep in mind.

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

A Little Tip When Installing Valve Keepers 17 May 2006 15:03 #48048

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I'll definatly be keeping this stuff in mind:)
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

A Little Tip When Installing Valve Keepers 17 May 2006 19:18 #48116

• wireman
  • Visitor
vaseline,its not just for doorknobs anymore!:whistle: :woohoo:

• Page: