Block and cases interchanging?

More
16 May 2006 07:25 #47689 by CruisingRam
Block and cases interchanging? was created by CruisingRam
I have a set of 900 cases already out of a bike, to save time, I would like to polish them, then use the 1000 guts, well most of them, to put in these cases.

Is this a good idea? Any mods or stupid time wasting stuff I will need to do? I plan on using the 900 crank and rods, some pistons I am buying from a member, that will give me over 10-1 compression ration, and some mild cams. So I will be using the 1000 block- do I need to take a die grinder to these cases to make the 1000 block fit?

Post edited by: CruisingRam, at: 2006/05/16 10:27

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2006 09:19 #47710 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Block and cases interchanging?
You are going to stuff the 1000 parts in the 900 cases except for the crank? The only other parts are the transmission and kicker mechanism tied to 1st gear. They are pretty much a drop in... you will have to clean the 900 top case with a die grinder if you put the 1000 block on. Get the block and dry fit it and you will see where it hits. It takes only a few minutes with a die grinder where the cases will fit on the dowels properly. It is best to do it where you can clean out the upper case good as it makes a bit of an mess that you don't want floating in your pan.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
16 May 2006 11:36 #47743 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic Block and cases interchanging?
The 1000 fired right up and started, after 8 years sitting. We are going to use this motor in my project bike. However, we have to split the cases anyway and polish the cases, and going to have the block hot tanked. A fella off this board is selling me some 1015 pistons, with much more compression ratio- so I am thinking- use the 900 cases, so we can get a jump on the polishing, without having parts strung out from the 1000 for days- and why not use the 900 bottom end and tranny, since it looks solid, and is lighter than the 1000 set up, and I am changing pistons anyway? use the top end from the 1000, with some slightly larger cams.

Sound like a good idea?

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.