Silver painted valve cover '83 550- is that stock?

More
14 May 2006 19:53 #47293 by Trav
I noticed today, when I decided to clean the grunge off my valve cover, that it seems to be painted silver (much like the natural metal finish of the rest of the engine. Looking at the inside surface, I believe it may have actaully been bead blasted at some point (however the gasket surface was taped up if so, because it is smooth).

I had assumed this bike was more or less untouched before I got my hands on it.. maybe I'm wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2006 20:22 #47301 by oldcoldankles
Replied by oldcoldankles on topic Silver painted valve cover '83 550- is that stock?
The finish on my cam cover is much like the rest of the engine, although it is a slightly lighter shade of silver, but doesn't look like paint.

Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

More
15 May 2006 15:04 #47485 by Trav
Well, chances are it could be then. Mine was always kinda scuzzy, and when I cleaned it up, I realized that there was some filaform corrosion (the kind that snakes under paint and seperates it) and when I hit it with compressed air, some of it flaked off in that area.

Actaully my first inclination was "why is there silverish stuff on the air injection reed valve plate gasket?" (yea whats the real term?) Anyway when I pulled them out there was paint that had transfered to it from the tight fit. So if someone else did it, they did a professional job.