my first \"road side stranding\" and the problem?

More
14 May 2006 18:37 #47261 by primemover
Hi All,

well, it was going to happen sooner or later...

so it happened on "mother's day" - thankfully it was after spending the day with wife and kids!

I went for a ride (on my 1987 KZ305) this evening and got stranded! (see "What Happened" below for specifics of what happened while riding)

Luckily i had a cell phone and was close to a friend's house (he has a pickup truck and ramp), so within an hour or so, i was back home and safe (though it would have been pretty hairy if it happened anywhere else)...

Glad it happened though, it builds character, right?

Here is the situation....

1) Electrical works and bike DOES start (no problem at all)

2) No matter WHAT i do with the shifter pedal, i cannot get the Neut. light to come on

3) i CAN get the bike in Neut., but there is a clicking sound when the back wheel is turned (note: NO Neut. light when in this position)

4) While on Centerstand - I can start the engine (with it in this "odd Neut. state") and, with using the clutch can shift into "a gear" and the back wheel spins - have NO idea if it is first or not - seems to rev too low for it to be first.

5) if i PULL the clutch NOTHING changes in terms of the wheel speed; if i then pull the clucth and change the shifter pedal, still, nothing changes... wheel spins at same speed...

?

the bike appears to only be able to get into WHAT EVER this one gear is and move only partly into Neut. (could that explain why i do not get the Neut. light?)

anyway....

where should i start?

I checked the clutch cable. I looks fine and moves the arm down at the clucth box...

the shifter pedal was/is secure on the "toothed" rod (sorry, did not get the chance to get the proper term) and is not stripped....

?

thanks...

What Happened

Out for a ride, all was well, riding along.... all great...

I came to some traffic (going over a bridge), so i slowed down and crepted along....

then i started to notice the my rpms were really low and the bike was "bucking" a little (as if i was in TOO high of a gear for the speed)...

i then stepped on the shifter pedal (to down shift), and noticed that:

- the shifter was already in the lowest possible position (i.e., i was NOT in too high of a gear)

and

- the shifter pedal was WAY too low (i.e., the positioning for 1st gear was MUCH lower then it normally is - by ~3-4 inches)...

I was able to get my foot under it to pull it up, but that did not seem to chage a darn thing, except that the pedal was now higher (because i pulled it up)...

This was all getting a little disconserting as i was crossing a bridge when ALL this was happening (i live in NJ and recently there was a pretty bad accident on a bridge with a motorcycle - the guy died)...

i was able to barely crawl along (up over the crest of the bridge and down the otherside) with the traffic,...

once the traffic opened up, i was able to ride along and things seemed kinda "regular" (though the pedal still seemed to not be in the right position - i now suspect i was in a "proper gear" for that speed ~30-40 or so...)....

i found the nearest side street and pulled down it...

coming off of a light the bike stalled (as it it was in too high of a gear - i.e., not in first)...

got to the side of the road... called my friend!

the rest is listed ABOVE!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2006 21:12 #47306 by btchalice

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
15 May 2006 06:28 #47359 by primemover
thanks a MILLION!

i'll review all of that...

- prime...

More
15 May 2006 12:37 #47436 by kx_125_pilot
perhaps a broken shifter fork?? And by the way, the toothed shaft is called a spline;)

Post edited by: kx_125_pilot, at: 2006/05/15 15:38

More
15 May 2006 13:09 #47453 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic my first
btchalice wrote:

check here first
kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/id,46229/catid,2/

You don't think he's done this? What are the chances?
Attachments: