Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 13 May 2006 22:09 #47106

• Maverick
  • Maverick's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My normally clean mouth emitted some choice four letter words this morning when I broke one of my cam caps. I'm just glad there were no kids around. Here's a question for you guys: is it fixable? I've heard that heliarc welding can be used to fix stuff like this. The challenge will be matching the machined surfaces. I'll attach a pic for your info. If it's not fixable, anybody got a J-engine head that I can cannibalize? Unfortunately, Kawasaki doesn't sell the cam caps by themselves - they only come with a complete head - list price $1200...

Oh! I almost forgot. Since I will (hopefully) be getting a used part, I'm curious about compatibility. I know the older KZs/Z1s use the same bushing inserts. Will a cap from one of them be compatible with my J head? What about from other KZ engines?

Cheers,

Maverick

Post edited by: Maverick, at: 2006/05/14 01:12

Post edited by: Maverick, at: 2006/05/14 01:23

Post edited by: Maverick, at: 2006/05/14 01:45
1981 KZ1000M1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 14 May 2006 07:59 #47146

• jasbarsydvic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
You should be able to take this to a good welding shop. Make sure they bolt or clamp the part down to a straight metal surface, at each bolt hole. Also make sure they warm the whole part up. Getting heat into the piece is very important before they start to weld. Like i said make sure its a good welding shop! By doing this it will keep its shape and size.

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 14 May 2006 09:43 #47162

• wireman
  • Visitor
the head and caps are line bored together as a set thats why they dont sell seperate parts.the problem with weldis the cap is broke right where one of the bearings rides at,which is going to affect your clearances on that bearing i think.if you can get an other head cheap enough i think id bite the bullet and buy it.ive got another j-motor/gz head but its a big valve big ported monster that wouldnt work very good on a small motor.:( goodluck,happy wrenching!

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 14 May 2006 09:47 #47164

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
wireman is right, I have seen people put caps on from differant heads and work, but I would want to get it line bored just to keep things right. I wouldnt even think about welding up the old one
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 14 May 2006 09:56 #47169

• wireman
  • Visitor
BSKZ650 wrote:

wireman is right, I have seen people put caps on from differant heads and work, but I would want to get it line bored just to keep things right. I wouldnt even think about welding up the old one

ive cheated on the old heads by swapping cam caps and plasti-gauging them,but theres enough junk/cracked kz style heads laying around to get caps off of but youll go through a lot of them to find a cap thats close.buy another head.;)

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 14 May 2006 17:33 #47247

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
If one has enough cam caqps laying around, you can try one after another and chances are you will find one that works. I have done that. As long as the cam turns freely when it is bolted down, you will be OK.

Jay

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 14 May 2006 18:07 #47254

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I use any cam cap i can find and rev to 12000 every 5sec, and i have never had a problem with these things. Cam only turns half crank speed and that helps. Those japs are pretty darn good. dont worry and buy a cap from someone check clearance and Goooo!

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2006/05/14 21:08

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 14 May 2006 18:40 #47264

• Maverick
  • User
Thanks for the tips everybody!

Now I get why these old kaw heads have the cam caps in the ends! Just a result of machining the cam bearings...

I've also heard that I could probably just use it the way it is... Seems to make sense to me... Does it really need to be in one piece? Particularly because the corner I broke off isn't one of the doweled corners. Since the cam bearing is what the cam is riding in, as long as that is held down it should be ok. Maybe the bolt will take a little more lateral stress, but it's grade 8 steel, so it should handle it, right?
1981 KZ1000M1

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 15 May 2006 06:49 #47362

• rammy
  • User
DO IT ONCE AND DO IT RIGHT!!!! Dont get bit bt that warm weather bug that makes you rush through something to go out riding.The way that cap looks I my self would NOT use it.Looks as if the bearing might spin and then you could get into more $$$ and less riding this summer because you motor is down from doing 1/2 ass work and rushing the bougus repair.Just my $.02 worth.I hate doing the same job twice.
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 15 May 2006 12:32 #47435

• kx_125_pilot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i agree with rammy, i bought a bike once that just everything in the motor was jimmy rigged......one of the head bolts was wayyy bigger than the other three, just all kinds of reidiculous stuff that was causing problems. I did everything over again, and it felt good knowing that i had a decent motor. If you put that in the way it is, you will always be worrying about it, and it could do more damage if it breaks....and you will regret it! do it right the first time! Tho, I think you would be able to get away with another cap that has the same or close clearances........

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 15 May 2006 13:29 #47461

• Jack
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
APE Jay wrote:
If one has enough cam caqps laying around, you can try one after another and chances are you will find one that works. I have done that. As long as the cam turns freely when it is bolted down, you will be OK.

Absolutely agree with this -you probably won't have to search too long either.As Jay said as long as the cam turns in the head FREELY,you'll be OK.The myth of having to replace a head if you bust a cam cap is just that.Or a story to sell $1200 replacement heads...
79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

I broke something else - cam cap heliarc repair? 15 May 2006 13:34 #47462

• Maverick
  • User
OK guys... You talked me into replacing it. I'm taking the broken cap to a welder this afternoon to see what he can do. If that doesn't work, I've found a couple of guys that have a some caps laying around that I could buy.

Thanks for the feedback!

Maverick.
1981 KZ1000M1

• Page: