• Page:

TOPIC:

Cam plugs and exhaust pipes questions 12 May 2006 17:33 #46894

• high toned son of a bitch
  • high toned son of a bitch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,
Got the 1000 fired up today!!! Sounds solid. The only problem I'm having is the STUPID cam plugs keep falling out. When I first replace them I put them in dry. Then I tried some spray can gasket tack. Then I tried RTV sealer. Nothing seems to work. When the engine gets hot, they just kind of squish out. Any ideas?

Also, I bought a pipe tubing bender a while back to make my own headers (for cars). I would like to make one for this bike. I am wanting to do a 2-1 for each side, planning on running straight pipes to a "megs" or similar style megaphone exhaust tip (no mufflers). As I understand it, the left two cylinders 1 and 2 will merge into a y-pipe on the left side, and the cylinders 3 and 4 will merge into a y-pipe on the right side. Since they are togather in the firing order, this will aid in the scavinging effect correct? Should I put a balance pipe in underneath or maybe an X-pipe? I have a 4-1 on the 900 and Love how it sounds, I just want to have a tip on each side of the bike. The only 2-1 headers I have found are pretty expensive, so I would like to go this route. Also, will it sound just as good as the 4-1? Looking for MAX. sound and performance here. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike

Can't wait to hop on this bad boy:woohoo: :evil:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam plugs and exhaust pipes questions 12 May 2006 18:11 #46904

• wireman
  • Visitor
is that a mandrel bender you bought?have you tried new cam plugs?;)

Cam plugs and exhaust pipes questions 12 May 2006 18:56 #46908

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
These work on mine, no leaks
www.kzzone.com/plugs.html

Cam plugs and exhaust pipes questions 12 May 2006 22:04 #46931

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
My headers actually cross over, 1-4 to the right 2-3 to the left. This is supposed to be more effective than the crossover tube but would be much harder to manufacture. The length of the headers has to be equal and the distance to the collector (Y) has to be just right so the exhaust pulses actually help scavenging.

I think the setup with the tube you're describing is stock on some 650 models (SR?) but I'm not sure. What I do know is they sound WAY different than my wife's KZ650 with Kerker. They don't have that high-pitched howl, more of a classic BAP-BAP-BAP, on low rpms you can actually hear left and right alternate. But then they come on full song and it's just beautiful :woohoo:
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Cam plugs and exhaust pipes questions 13 May 2006 08:49 #46974

• high toned son of a bitch
  • high toned son of a bitch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Yes, they are brand new cam plugs. I was thinking about something from aluminum would work better. I guess that's my only option, as these WILL NOT stay in.

Yes, the bender does mandrel bends. It works great, but it is very time consuming to make a header. I would actually be OK with a 4-1 if I could have it come out on both sides. The 4-1 on my 900 angles towards the right side pretty hard. I was thinking about cutting it off a little further back, maybe right after the collector and making the rest from there also as an idea. I have the stock pipes and muffs on it now, so I can hear any engine problems and such. TOO QUIET!!!

Cam plugs and exhaust pipes questions 13 May 2006 14:35 #47030

• Willo46
  • User
On the cam plugs you might try 3-Bond gasket sealer, the grey gooey stuff. I have used that and my cam plugs stay tight. Make sure you let it dry overnight. I've seen it at several cycle shops, including the Harley dealer.

Sorry no idea on the exhaust.

Cam plugs and exhaust pipes questions 13 May 2006 22:08 #47105

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58

• Page: