Kawasaki Triples

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
19 Aug 2011 16:49 #470075 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kawasaki Triples

RonKZ650 wrote: Depending on the magazine the Z1 and H2 were pretty even at about 12.5 give or take in the quarter mile. I wanted a Z1 or KZ1000 back in the late 70s and back then all were pretty much dumping the triples for nothing. I got my mint 74 H2 for $1000 and 2 complete 72s for $300, one was a chopper:laugh: Can you imagine riding a chopped H2, no there is some real mentality in doing that! KZ900/1000 and Z1 were much more money back then. Times have changed. I like my H2 to look at and ride once every couple years, but I can't imagine using a triple as a basic street bike even back in 1972. Vibrate, parts fall off, no brakes, load up in hot weather, real marginal handling to say the least. I don't get the allure really even after owning one for 32 years.

c'mon Ron,we know its the origional paint that does it for ya! :woohoo:
you pretty much summed up my brief experiance with h2's though! :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
19 Aug 2011 19:12 #470128 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Kawasaki Triples
not too much around here listed but they are 100% for sure hiding in barns and sheds and such....there was a blue H2 rolling rolling bskt case with serious chambers and supplies for the re-do stock piled and extras...1000$ ..last year here c-list...(did i share this already?)

i posted the bikes ad here in the c-list thread and folks commented..i had no extra 1000 and did not want/ intend to take up the two stroke collecting bug..

co-worker has a early 500 in baskets.....saw the same ad last year and rushed right over,only to watch some other(quicker) guy who bought the H2 load it a drive away.....that is 3 folks i know who saw the ad and jumped...must have been 20 in route or calling.....imo ...in 2011...the deal is to find one in storage and strike a deal ,co-worker,neighbor,or their friends are where i am getting a ton of very decent leadson abandoned or storaged bikes right now..xt750,gs1100,cb1100f,cb750,in just the last 6 months from co-workers ....these are no advertised bikes sitting decades and for dirt prices....ask around at work ...everyone knows some old bike tucked away...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
19 Aug 2011 20:47 #470148 by kawman66
Replied by kawman66 on topic Kawasaki Triples

531blackbanshee wrote: i am sure they prob just need bored to match the sleeves on the 750 cylinders.

gettem side by side and it will become obvious,no big deal as long as the 500 cases have the meat to remove.i have punched several cases out for big bores lemme know if i can help.

leon

will do leon, thats what i figured to guess ill just buy one cylinder first to check.

75 z1b
76 kz900ltd
76 kz900
76 kz900-1500
77 kz1000ltd

my drinking team has a racing problem

More
27 Aug 2011 15:30 - 27 Aug 2011 15:36 #472161 by Charlie650
Replied by Charlie650 on topic Kawasaki Triples
They are not quite what the legend says they are.

I have a 75 H1F, it looks OK, it goes OK when it is in the right mood - but I would not take it too far from home tbh.

last time out, the alternator/stator vibed off the end of the crank and left me stuck at the roadside. I have lost count of the nuts and bolts that have vibed off. It even lost the front mudguard when all four screws came out....none of those problems are at all unusual on the H1's.

I now use Loctite as a matter of course on every fastener. They are ultra thirsty as well. 20/25 mpg is good for one of these. Might be OK in the U.S. where gas is cheap - but it is not so good in the U.K. ;)

Anyone from the Rockford area may well have seen this one before - it was in purple H2C colours and in MUCH worse condition when it came over here about a year back, but that is where it hailed from.

I much prefer my 650C1 (also came over from the States)

[IMG
[IMG

1977 KZ650C1
1975 H1F 500 Triple
2005 ZX10R
Sheffield(ish) UK
Last edit: 27 Aug 2011 15:36 by Charlie650.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
27 Aug 2011 16:50 #472173 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Kawasaki Triples
sweet bikes ..tight

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
27 Aug 2011 23:59 #472254 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Kawasaki Triples
Yea, they were and are cool bikes, but not nothing you want to ride too far on even back in 1972. I remember Kawasaki had an add at one time touting the H2 as the ultimate touring machine:) . Well that was a laugh even back in '72

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
28 Aug 2011 01:52 - 28 Aug 2011 02:00 #472266 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Kawasaki Triples
Went a mile from my house to a boat repair place where the guy said he had a few

old bikes, to get me a 20 dollar metzler tire. There was two 650 kaws with no plugs or carbs

and they looked like good motors before sitting. And there was a frame of a bike.

A 500 triple in it with no plugs or carbs. the only thing missing other than that stuff,

whatever belonged on the crank left side of the engine. looked workable to me.

If anyone wants to buy it for dirt cheap just pm me and I'll see how cheap I can get it,

take a better look at it. See you gotta be from ND. People here arn't all excited

about bikes and they sit and rot or just sit. I see this stuff alot and wish I had

the money to fix it. I see a variety of diff. bikes. Like the one in carrington nd.

That gpz was nice and it was the right year, low miles. For 1600 I can't believe

no one wants it. But oh well I,d rather see these bikes and parts in the hands

of one who truley loves these old motors. And will use the heck out of them.

My bike is like a triple, it has the wicked power band up top like they do.

but they don't put out the raw torque mine does. They can't even rev as high

with the porting and piping they have stock, so to me they are just junk on

a motorcycle. Something else though... now that could be fun.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2011 02:00 by nads.com.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
28 Aug 2011 02:10 #472271 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kawasaki Triples

nads.com wrote: Went a mile from my house to a boat repair place where the guy said he had a few

old bikes, to get me a 20 dollar metzler tire. There was two 650 kaws with no plugs or carbs

and they looked like good motors before sitting. And there was a frame of a bike.

A 500 triple in it with no plugs or carbs. the only thing missing other than that stuff,

If anyone wants to buy it for dirt cheap just pm me and I'll see how cheap I can get it,

take a better look at it. See you gotta be from ND. People here arn't all excited

about bikes and they sit and rot or just sit. I see this stuff alot and wish I had

the money to fix it. I see a variety of diff. bikes. Like the one in carrington nd.

That gpz was nice and it was the right year, low miles. For 1600 I can't believe

no one wants it. But oh well I,d rather see these bikes and parts in the hands

of one who truley loves these old motors. And will use the heck out of them.

My bike is like a triple, it has the wicked power band up top like they do.

but they don't put out the raw torque mine does. They can't even rev as high

with the porting and piping they have stock, so to me they are just junk on

a motorcycle. Something else though... now that could be fun.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh north and south dakota have been my secret happy hunting grounds for 2 and 4 wheeled projects for many years!
The indians up there treat vehicles like horses,if it quits running it just gets shoved in a corner of the yard.
Kind of a nebraska philosophy except theres no salt on the roads to rust everything away! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
28 Aug 2011 03:40 #472283 by Charlie650
Replied by Charlie650 on topic Kawasaki Triples

nads.com wrote:

That item missing from the left side of the crank will be the alternator/stator assembly.

It probably vibrated free on that bike too .... :laugh:

The roads up and down the world must be littered with Triple fall-out :lol:

1977 KZ650C1
1975 H1F 500 Triple
2005 ZX10R
Sheffield(ish) UK

More
29 Aug 2011 14:00 #472539 by s3steve
Replied by s3steve on topic Kawasaki Triples
Here's a couple of shots of my 400. Great little bike, some would say the best of the Kawasaki triple line up.

And the way it looks now.

The handling on the smaller triples is fine on the larger ones, new steering head bearings and bronze swingarm bushings or bearings make a huge difference. Raising the rear end doesn't hurt either.

They sound great especially when you have 10 or more all accelerating out of a corner!

1973 Kawasaki Z1
1975 Kawasaki S3
2006 BMW R1200RT

• Patton
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
13 Sep 2011 01:06 #476292 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kawasaki Triples

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
13 Sep 2011 20:24 #476460 by kawman66
Replied by kawman66 on topic Kawasaki Triples
thats what im talkin about

75 z1b
76 kz900ltd
76 kz900
76 kz900-1500
77 kz1000ltd

my drinking team has a racing problem