Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

transmission q's 10 May 2006 19:05 #46505

• Bugg
  • Bugg's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I noticed a bit of a false neutral developing between 3&4th and today 2nd slipped out twice under hard revving, so what needs adjustment or replacing??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

transmission q's 11 May 2006 11:41 #46622

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Shifter forks and gears will need inspection and possible replacement. Engine will require remaoval and probably cases split to conduct inspections definitely for repair. I actually developed cracks in my crankcases along input and output shaft locating pins, that caused bike to drop into false neutral during very very hard no clutch redline shifts (drag racing). KZ reknowed for bullet proof bottom ends so am thinking this was more fluke than anything else.

transmission q's 11 May 2006 13:59 #46655

• elseed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'd like to hear some more about this. Same deal for me. Shifting pretty clunky, have popped out of 2nd a couple times hard on the throttle. Doing a hard row through the gears, it's pretty easy to miss a shift, end up between gears (no fun).

When I last had engine apart, I too had some cracks and signs of abuse at the output shaft -- one ball peen-looking dent along the bottom. I now have outboard bearing support, so feel this must help a lot with stress.

Is there some information to learn more specifically what type of wear to look for, pic examples would be great. What specifically leads to a strong and smooth-shifting transmission? Worn shift forks? Do the shift shafts (ones with forks) bend or flex? If I'm holding the gears in my hand, what am I looking for? Should I buy a whole stock replacement, just replace individual gears, send 'em out to be undercut, etc. Would love some advice what to consider at rebuild time.
'75 Z1B with mods

• Page: