Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

tool help - m18x1.5 bolt - problem solved 10 May 2006 07:01 #46346

• securitygeek
  • securitygeek's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've seen in the archives that the special tool for pulling the dynamo rotor off, to get to the starter clutch on a 750 twin, is nothing more than an m18x1.5 bolt. Where have you guys that have done this found that bolt. I've checked with the local hw store, NAPA, Fastenal and have had no luck. I'd rather not pull my rear axle to do this. Help, anyone?

Post edited by: securitygeek, at: 2006/05/10 10:02

Post edited by: securitygeek, at: 2006/05/10 18:03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

tool help - m18x1.5 bolt - problem solved 10 May 2006 13:13 #46436

• securitygeek
  • securitygeek's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'll reply to my own question, in case it will help out someone else.

I picked up a m18x1.5 oil drain plug from the local auto parts store. When I got home, I found a flanged bolt that almost fit through the m18 threaded portion. I ground down the flange part just enough to go in, then I ground the bolt length so that it would take up the space between the crankshaft and the end of the drain plug (drain plug was not long enough by itself). Then, hand tighten it before using a pneumatic impact driver. Worked like a charm!

What I found in the starter clutch was one broken bolt out of three, with the other two very loose. And I need new springs. I think that I found three retractable pen springs that will work. Hopefully the starter will be workng tonight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: