Advice - QUICK, i hope (re: valves/oil leak)

More
09 May 2006 11:44 #46167 by primemover
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to get some real quick advice:

- i have a 1987 KZ305

- i bought it last year as a "trainer" (just started riding)

- i've put ~3.5k miles on it (it had ~6k when i bought it), it now has ~9.5k (i paid ~$1100 for it)

- my plan is to "upgrade" to a larger bike at the end of this season (and start riding the new one nex season)

Adjusting the valves?
- The bike had a few owners (no real records to speak of) and i have no idea if/when the valves have ever been adjusted (manual lists ~every 3k miles)

Oil leak?
- I have a slight oil leak coming from the "cam shift" spindle (for lack of a better term). This bike does not have "points", but where the "points" would be is the end of a bar that spins when the engine is running, the oil comes from the gasket/o-ring around that spindle, though only a little...

I took the bike in to the shop this AM to get these above 2 items dealt with, in addition to having the master cyl. flushed/new brake fluid put in...

The mechanic (a good guy/trustworthy) is of the opinion that:

1) the oil leak is not that big of a deal, i should not loose much oil that way, simply wash the cycl down once in a while... no biggie

2) not certain adjusting the valves on a bike this old is worth it (considering i'll be saling the bike end of summer anyway)

3) if i decide to have him either, take care of the oil leak or adjust the valves, i should do the other anyway, since the engine would already be apart... (all together the cost could be ~$350)

I'm torn...

this has been a good starter bike, but i'm leaning towards taking his advice (heck, some mechanics would be talking you INTO extra work, not OUT OF it)...

thought???

thanks...

- prime

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2006 13:57 #46184 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Advice - QUICK, i hope (re: valves/oil leak)
IMHO, If the bike is running ok and you are only going to have it for another 4-5 months, live with the leak and don't worry too much about the valve adjustment. I wouldn't drop $350 on it right now.

From your description, it sounds like a bad Crankshaft oil seal but I'm not familiar with the 305.

More
09 May 2006 14:26 #46186 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Advice - QUICK, i hope (re: valves/oil leak)
I may or may not fix the seal, depending on how involved it is to replace, but I would definitely have the valves looked at. It's a long summer of riding ahead of you, a good performing bike is worth it.

I would not spend the money with a mechanic on this valve adjustment, if you are the least bit mechanically inclined. I bet the valves are easy, probably a nut and screw adjustment instead of shims like the 4 cyl. engines have. But I am guessing. So a wrench, screwdriver and feeler gages are about it for tools.

Do you have a shop manual? You can get one on ebay for probably $25.

Write back and let us know what you decide to do.

Kent

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
09 May 2006 14:36 #46187 by primemover
Replied by primemover on topic Advice - QUICK, i hope (re: valves/oil leak)
Hey guys....

thanks...

i do have a shop manual (have never adjusted valves before), so i'm a little apprehensive about it...

but... it does look straight forward enough...

the mechanic DID mention that if i had him do the valves, that he would also want to "resync" teh carbs...

is that really needed after adjusting the valves? if so, i'm not certain i could do that...

?

More
09 May 2006 15:16 #46190 by gas
Your shop manual will tell you what is needed for, and how to, tune up your bike. You can look at this as a learning experience usefull to keeping your next bike in tune. Better to start on a smaller/simpler motor like a 305 I'd say. There were many things on my 650 that I had no experience repairing/adjusting, and sometimes it intimidated and scared me. However, I got through these procedures with help from the people on this site, proper tools, repair manuals and patience.

More
09 May 2006 15:30 #46193 by primemover
indeed...

a learning experience...

i just would not want to loose some good "ride time"...

however, i did pick up a old (1978) KZ400 over the winter that i have been tinkering around with...

maybe i'll adjust the valves on THAT ONE first, learn the ropes, putfalls, then do them on my KZ305...

i checked the shop man. of both (the procedure seems pretty similar)...

it is decided!

i'll wait on the oil leak, and move forward with valve adjustments on KZ400, then... if all goes well, graduate to the KZ305...

thanks...

i will most CERTAINLY be back!

:)

More
09 May 2006 16:16 #46201 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Advice - QUICK, i hope (re: valves/oil leak)
Excellent choice, keep moving forward! Does the 305 have two carbs? If so there is an easy way to sync them. www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
09 May 2006 17:45 #46218 by primemover
yes....

two carbs, i actaully did my first carb "rebuild" on that KZ400 over the winter....

i'll check out that URL...

thanks!