Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help I'm Stupid 06 May 2006 19:43 #45597

• dbek
  • dbek's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
At least it's making me feel that way. I've got a '77' KZ1000A. It's all stock and after a few thousand miles after a new set of rings I had a "reputable" bike mechanic put on it started smoking slightly then gradually got worse. I tore it down to find a piston pin retainer clip on my #2 piston was missing and egged out my cylinder. I fortunately had just dragged another '77' KZ1000 out of a farmers garbage dump and used the jugs from it. Now the problem, after honing the cylinders, putting the engine back together with new rings, cleaning and lapping the orginal valves and basically rechecking everything while I had it apart I thought I had the timing right but after rotating the engine with the 17mm wrench all things came to a halt. I followed the book step by step from 1/4 TDC, lining up the timing mark and counting the 28 links to the intake cam but I'm thinking after reading in the archives I didn't keep enough tension on the cam chain and it may have slipped a tooth or two. I wound up bending some valves but I'd like some input as to what I may have done. Would slipping the timing chain be enough to bend the valves while rotating by hand? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help I'm Stupid 06 May 2006 20:14 #45603

• dan76kz900
  • User
Yes, the valves bend easy. You can do a compression test to check and see if their ok or not.

Help I'm Stupid 06 May 2006 21:52 #45610

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
If you're *really* lucky, you've got the wrong head gasket.

Stick around long enough, and you'll see *everything* once.

A couple of weeks ago, I was helping a pal put the finishing touches on re-assembling a KZ750R motor that had been hogged out to an 810. Everything went just peachy until we spun the motor by wrench.

*THUNK*

Funny, it didn't do that before we stuck the head on...

A couple of dumb looks, a pair of scratched heads and a few well-placed adjectives later, we're looking down the plug holes with a light to see if the valves had left dents in the pistons. Nada.

More adjectives liberally applied while pulling the head. Didn't take long to spot the problem now that we weren't assuming that everything was right.

Some dyslexic parts counter genius didn't check or didn't care that he handed off a 750 gasket for an 810 bore.

Hey, it happens.

Hopefully, you've got the same kind of problem. A 900 gasket on a 1000 head would probably give you the same kind of willies we had...

Best of luck.

Help I'm Stupid 07 May 2006 00:13 #45626

• dbek
  • dbek's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Well I wanted to run a compression test but got an internal clunk instead so I disassembled it. I checked the head gasket as recommended and it was correct but looking into the exhaust port I could see light coming through where the valve was supposed to be closed. Two exhaust valves and one intake valve were obviously bent so before I go back together with new valves I want to be sure what I did so I don't wreck another set.
I did manage to talk the wife into buying the parts. Any tips on talking her into buying a bike to ride while I work on my Kawi?

Help I'm Stupid 07 May 2006 05:49 #45639

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
dbek wrote:

Any tips on talking her into buying a bike to ride while I work on my Kawi?

Woo. Now _that_ is a toughie. Hmmmm.

Flowers? Candy? Lingerie? Beer? More beer?

I'd say this requires military precision.

1. Have the bike picked out and the owner's number on speed dial.

2. Buy her something frilly from Vicky's Secret and a case of her favorite hooch.

3. Apply both liberally until she's zonked enough to agree.

4. Get the deal done before she sobers up.

5. Have a cot ready in the doghouse - you're gonna be there awhile.

:evil:

Help I'm Stupid 07 May 2006 09:14 #45664

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
It's been discussed MANY times,and there's a lot of info in the archives about it...You HAVE to make SURE that when installing the timing chain,that the bike is perfectly vertical to the ground...not on the kick -stand.The chain won't grab the teeth properly,on the crank,if the bike is leaning over...I had the same problem way back when,and so have a lot of Others.It DOES feel like it grabs,but it's actually laying to the side(inside) if the gear.
That sucks that You bent the valves,Bud...but good luck with round 2.
When You're turning that engine over,using the 17mm wrench,go slow(with the sparkplugs out)and have a look down the plug hole while You do it.If You can...get Yourself one of these lights...they work awesome for getting into little openings,and tight areas...I wouldn't be without Mine...

www.annco.com/products/pro_2.cfm?ItemNumber=10150A

Good luck with it all...go slow,and make sure that chain HAS grabbed the gear on the crank...be sure!Pull the chain tight when You think it has grabbed,and then with Your 2 hands...tug the chain from You left hand to Your right hand...back and forth,to check for any slippage.You'll know when it's locked onto the crank...and then just keep the chain tight as You install the rest of the components(idlers,etc.)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

• Page: