Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

engine bell ringing 06 May 2006 08:47 #45484

• CTSZ1
  • CTSZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone with a KZ900 engine have any experience with it making a "bell ringing" sound on start up that is very noticeable until the engine is warmed? It is not a rod knocking sound as I am familar with that. In tone it rings much like a bell. Even after the engine is warm I can hear it as some kind of faint background noise. The bike seems to be running normally.

Maybe I have bats in my belfry, but if anyone has an answer please chime in.:laugh:

I know, I know, that's a sad attempt at humor but I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

engine bell ringing 06 May 2006 10:31 #45500

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Instead of bats in your belfry, you might have a *clapper in your cam chain tunnel*.

Seen some amazing things spelunking down there; idler/tensioner wheels and arms, adjuster blocks and the odd piece of Jimmy Hoffa. All that, and the motor seemed to chug along okay except for sounding like the Peking phone book being read out loud: "...ching-chang-chong...".

Seen one set of cases with a miniature Grand Canyon gouged into them by a loose chain; considered setting up an aluminum strip mining operation down in the oil pan.

That's my SWAG(Scientific Wild-A$$ed Guess). Might want to pull the cam cover and take a peek.

engine bell ringing 07 May 2006 03:52 #45632

• CTSZ1
  • CTSZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'll do that although I had the cover off recently to do a shim job and everything appeared in order. But then again I wasn't looking for any problem imparticular.

Any other got any possibilities?

Thanks

• Page: