Rattling like crazy only when cold

More
05 May 2006 15:13 #45345 by DanOz7Five0
Rattling like crazy only when cold was created by DanOz7Five0
My bike sounds like pennies in a can when the engine is cold. Once Ive been running a few minutes it purrs along nicely though, smoothes out and quiets down.

Something tells me cam chain, but someone mentioned a rattle like that can also be an exhaust leak. Im thinking of the exhaust leak because as the engine warms up things get better. Ive gone over the auto tensioner on my bike a few times. If Im correct, I cant pull my cam cover off to set the tension on mine like the 650s can, correct? I just have to hope my automatic tensioner is doing its job. The temnsioner I just replaced in spring had the rubber stopper worn right off of it, I havent chacked the lastest one lately.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2006 18:00 #45380 by gas
Replied by gas on topic Rattling like crazy only when cold
That's a perfect description of my cam chain rattle a couple of years ago. Wiredgeorge once mentioned taking a tensioner spring out and stretching it a bit, for some extra pressure. Never tried it, but it sounded interesting. Dunno buddy, all I have is my own limited experience.

More
06 May 2006 01:14 #45439 by typhoon
Replied by typhoon on topic Rattling like crazy only when cold
Sounds like primary chain to me. Mine does it, and settles down exactly as yours does too. Does the noise reduce when you put it in gear when cold?
Primary chain noise is no big deal when cold on these things, part of the character! Don't forget Ducati guys get wood over engine rattles!

Regards, Andrew.

gpzrider.com/
For all your air/liquid cooled GPZ fun!