New Engine?

More
02 May 2006 21:23 #44679 by JUSTICE114
New Engine? was created by JUSTICE114
Hey guys I have a dumb Question:unsure: Is there an after market engine that can be bought for these ol Skool bikes. Does japan do any thing like that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
02 May 2006 21:31 #44680 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic New Engine?
yeah but you have to pick out the parts and assemble it yourself though!:whistle: :woohoo: wha kind of motor do you want to build?:whistle:

More
02 May 2006 22:16 #44690 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic New Engine?
yeah, pretty sure there arent any "crate engines" out there for KZs, but you sure can build a power house with after market parts and a good base to start with.

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
03 May 2006 11:37 #44825 by Willo46
Replied by Willo46 on topic New Engine?
In a couple of years of looking for KZ900 engine parts I've found the BEST you'll do is a relatively low mileage used engine(10 to 20K) but they aren't common. As long as you have or can get a good set of cases and tranny, crank, reworkable cylinders and head, most all the wear parts can be obtained new (for a price).

More
03 May 2006 12:08 #44834 by JUSTICE114
Replied by JUSTICE114 on topic New Engine?
wireman wrote:

yeah but you have to pick out the parts and assemble it yourself though!:whistle: :woohoo: wha kind of motor do you want to build?:whistle:

I want to make it "road worthy". Be able to go on long runs without haven to worry much. Should i rebuild the 1000 or go bigger.........? Stuff like that. Whats the most reliable and durable size engine? Thanks

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 May 2006 21:52 #44962 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic New Engine?
before you tear your engine apart run a leak down test on it,if your motor is still solid and runs good id take and stick it in a corner somewhere and find a complete rebuildable motor to go through.1075 seems to be a popular number for a good streetbike motor.a mild port job and a set of small cams with 28s or 29s electronic ignition and a header should make a reliable combination.now on the other end of the scale where wireman has been known to spend his time you find an 1197 with same tricks as 1075 but with a lot more grunt.then theres the if you want to be practical drive a VOLVO concept the 1327 with big everything and if its not enough put a bottle on it phylosaphy(?)but that kind of throws reliability out the window,but it sure is fun though!:whistle: :evil: :woohoo:

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
04 May 2006 08:24 #45028 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic New Engine?
Suzuki Bandit as late as 2002 and maybe later is still air cooled. Well air and oil anyway. There is one on ebay right now, new pull from 2005 and it looks to be air/oil cooled as well. I didn't pay that much attention because my wallet can't stand to part with anywhere near the $1500 start. No bids.

It's sort of an old style motor. It's DOHC with 16 valve, rocker arms, and higher compression. It's got the power you'd end up spending $1500 to get out of an old 900/1000 kwaker motor.

If I were building a sleeper in guise of a nasty looking little bobber and had the $, I'd use one.

-Duck