putting cases back together, silicon OK?

More
02 May 2006 11:58 #44510 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic putting cases back together, silicon OK?
Ordinary silicone isn't heat resistant either. Use Threebond.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
02 May 2006 18:01 #44586 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic putting cases back together, silicon OK?
Lorcan wrote:

Ordinary silicone isn't heat resistant either. Use Threebond.

100% silicone is.;)

More
02 May 2006 18:35 #44597 by 1045
Replied by 1045 on topic putting cases back together, silicon OK?
You may want to consider "hylomar" which you can get at good old Canadian Tire for about $7.00 a tube. It will do the job with great results, I have used it many times for bikes, cars and aircraft engines... Here is a link so you can read about it yourself..Silicone sucks as it tends to squeeze out to much and get in your oil as WG says..

www.valco-cp.com/Hylomar.htm

Good Luck

More
02 May 2006 21:37 #44683 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic putting cases back together, silicon OK?
Im going to try the 100% silicone.
If the long list of Wiremans bikes have all had silicone "gaskets", Im sure it works just fine when done properly

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• wireman
  • Visitor
02 May 2006 21:48 #44688 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic putting cases back together, silicon OK?
im going to start on the bottem end of my 1327 this weekend if i get down to my dads place,and yes it too will have silicone between case halves.;)

More
02 May 2006 23:34 #44699 by sbjones
Replied by sbjones on topic putting cases back together, silicon OK?
sorry, i didn't see the case halves thing.
if you do use silicone, use some heat stuff. there is other stuff out there that i have used to seal up the front diffs of chevy's (aluminum) dang, can't remeber the name, it is blue or red. detroit diesel uses it for almost all of the gasket (only 3 gaskets really in there engine on the 60 series) detroits is blue and chevy's is red. it works really well on aluminum.

GASKET INHIBITOR, thats what is it. it seals with the abscence of air, unlike silicone. it takes heat pretty dang well to.

i personally don't like the 3 bond or yamabond stuff. it seals great, but try and get it apart after it seals. it is like cement (i know that 3 bond is like cement after it cures) this makes it tough to get things apart later.

good luck.

More
03 May 2006 00:59 #44706 by KingKustomz
Replied by KingKustomz on topic putting cases back together, silicon OK?
Alright here is my opinion on this mighty debate. I am posting this on my lunch break at work and cannot remember the name of the stuff cause it is in my box at home. I believe you want Permatex High temp silicone. It is orange. Put a small bead around the case (go easy around the kickstarter and clutch corners) Use your finger with a latex glove to flatten it out a little. Put your cases together per manual instructions. When you get motor running after you break the engine in change the oil once or twice to try to get excess silicone out. (Also JB a magnet to the oil pan never hurts);)

Just the basics. Whatever don\'t fit in your pockets make you stop fast or go fast does not go on the bike.