cloudy oil inspection window

More
28 Feb 2011 04:57 #433926 by hypnohio
cloudy oil inspection window was created by hypnohio
Any thoughts on why the oil inspection window on my '82 kz440 suddenly became cloudy? It seems to be clearing up, but I don't know why it happened or whether it's something ominous. thanks.

1982 KZ440 LTD
2003 EN500 C
2006 Virago 250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Feb 2011 05:31 #433928 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic cloudy oil inspection window
likely means you got some water in your oil. Change your oil, and when it's colder out make sure you go for long rides that let the oil get hot and evaporate the water out. Short rides in the cold = bad.

More
28 Feb 2011 06:19 #433934 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic cloudy oil inspection window
Far too many short rides. You need to put about 25-30 miles on a bike to get the engine oil to full temperature and burn off any condensation inside the engine. While some short trips are inevitable, try to push the bike longer and harder frequently - otherwise you are allowing the condensation to damage the internals with rust....

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
28 Feb 2011 08:57 #433961 by hypnohio
Replied by hypnohio on topic cloudy oil inspection window
thanks, all.

1982 KZ440 LTD
2003 EN500 C
2006 Virago 250

More
28 Feb 2011 11:30 #433989 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic cloudy oil inspection window
You also need to change the oil more frequently:the condensation mixes with hydrogen byproducts to form acid which attacks metal parts. Modern oil has acid neutralizers but they get used up quick if you get water condensation a lot. This is also why "severe service" oil change intervals are sprcified at 3 months/3000 miles whichever comes first if you do a lot of short trips. It used to be called "taxi service" intervals. Oil is cheap, whenever it looks funny, dump it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
28 Feb 2011 11:44 #433994 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic cloudy oil inspection window
bountyhunter wrote:

You also need to change the oil more frequently:the condensation mixes with hydrogen byproducts to form acid which attacks metal parts. Modern oil has acid neutralizers but they get used up quick if you get water condensation a lot. This is also why "severe service" oil change intervals are sprcified at 3 months/3000 miles whichever comes first if you do a lot of short trips. It used to be called "taxi service" intervals. Oil is cheap, whenever it looks funny, dump it.

TOTALLY agree... on my turbo bike, I change oil AND filter every 500 miles... on my stock Z1A, every 1,000 miles...

I also run my fingers through the oil to see if I can feel anything in it. If I do find something I don't like, I chop open the oil filter to see what I can find. I had a broken cam chain guide on one bike I bought. The cam chain was chewing into the cylinder block and I found some very fine aluminum filings in the oil - and even more in the filter.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
05 Mar 2011 13:33 #435215 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic cloudy oil inspection window
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

TOTALLY agree... on my turbo bike, I change oil AND filter every 500 miles... on my stock Z1A, every 1,000 miles...

I also run my fingers through the oil to see if I can feel anything in it. If I do find something I don't like, I chop open the oil filter to see what I can find. I had a broken cam chain guide on one bike I bought. The cam chain was chewing into the cylinder block and I found some very fine aluminum filings in the oil - and even more in the filter.

What brand and weight oil do you run? I've never dissected my oil filter before, seems like cheap insurance, I'm about due for an oil change. Thanks for the tip!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!