1981 kz1000 ltd engine help

More
20 Feb 2011 19:48 #432250 by tyhoppy
1981 kz1000 ltd engine help was created by tyhoppy
A summary of my situation... My Exhaust cam sprocket came loose and wore the side of the head, resulting in some aluminum shavings and a broken timing chain. Upon disassembly i ended up cracking the case from my stupidity. The rotating assembly seems to rotate freely and the transmission all looks good. I have one bent valve. My dilemma is whether or not I should buy a used case and replace the bent valve and reassemble using my internals, or purchase a used motor for $750 plus mine as a core. I know I can get all the parts to fix mine for around $450. What do you guys recommend? Are my rod bearings going to be toast from the aluminum shavings? They feel tight. And should I have the rod bearings checked/replaced and fix this our buy the used engine?

I found some cases on ebay but some are j models, will these work on my k model?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2011 20:03 #432256 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 1981 kz1000 ltd engine help
you could probably find used motor for less than $750 i would think B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
20 Feb 2011 20:18 #432260 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic 1981 kz1000 ltd engine help
The J cases will work for your bike. Everything with the 998cc motor is referred to as a J motor. Not likely that your motor will be accepted as a core with damage to the head and a cracked case. I would buy cases and re-build or maybe find another motor. One good thing about J motored bikes is that the engine soldiered on for many years in the police bikes. I think you could find a runner for less than 750.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN