dropped a piece of gasket down in the engine

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2011 08:45 - 20 Feb 2011 08:53 #432087 by Topper
Ok, should I be freaking out? Do I need to take the engine apart?

I removed the cylinder head cover and the gasket came off all in pieces, some of it seems welded to the cylinder head.

A piece of gasket, maybe a quarter inch square fell down into the engine cavity where the timing chain runs.

Also, I could use some tips on how to remove this dried, crusty, totally stuck on gasket from the cylinder head.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this is a 1979 KZ750 B twin, if it matters.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys
Last edit: 20 Feb 2011 08:53 by Topper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2011 09:09 #432093 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic dropped a piece of gasket down in the engine
if its just a paper valve cove gasket id just wait till you change oil B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Feb 2011 09:13 - 20 Feb 2011 09:14 #432095 by Topper
Yes, it's just a piece of paper gasket. Ok, I'll relax a little now. Thanks.

Any tips on how to remove the rest of the gasket? Just scrape it with a razor blade?

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys
Last edit: 20 Feb 2011 09:14 by Topper.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
20 Feb 2011 09:14 #432096 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic dropped a piece of gasket down in the engine
you could probably be okay and find it one day when you drop the oil pan...folks will freak out that i told you forget about it but,,,unless you want to drop the exhaust and pull the motor.....ect....i would not sweat it...turn the motor over by hand slowly and see if you feel any binds ..it wont be good if by a small chance it lodged in the cam chain roller or cam chain crank sprocket...short of that it will fall into the oil and stick to the pan imo.......use a dull chisel or a plastic chisel...and some gasket remover by the instructions....the gasket is not really on there as hard as it seems and once you get some free it comes off in chunks.......i use a razor blade and go back wards like sweeping to clean the last stuff ..contact cleaner...ect...stuff rags in the chain galley to stop more falling in.......good excuse to clean the pan soon

Joke....

an engineer goes to use the outhouse on a job site ...when he comes out the workers watch him cussing-reach in his wallet -grab a 20 bill-and toss it down the shitter hole-roll up his pants and get ready to climb in...the workers yell at him ,hey what are doing....the engineer says...well i just dropped a quarter in there when i was pulling my pants up.....so what say the workers....well i'm not going in there for a lousy quarter says the engineer

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
20 Feb 2011 09:22 #432099 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic dropped a piece of gasket down in the engine
trianglelaguna wrote:

you could probably be okay and find it one day when you drop the oil pan...folks will freak out that i told you forget about it but,,,unless you want to drop the exhaust and pull the motor.....ect....i would not sweat it...turn the motor over by hand slowly and see if you feel any binds ..it wont be good if by a small chance it lodged in the cam chain roller or cam chain crank sprocket...short of that it will fall into the oil and stick to the pan imo.......use a dull chisel or a plastic chisel...and some gasket remover by the instructions....the gasket is not really on there as hard as it seems and once you get some free it comes off in chunks.......i use a razor blade and go back wards like sweeping to clean the last stuff ..contact cleaner...ect...stuff rags in the chain galley to stop more falling in.......good excuse to clean the pan soon

Joke....

an engineer goes to use the outhouse on a job site ...when he comes out the workers watch him cussing-reach in his wallet -grab a 20 bill-and toss it down the shitter hole-roll up his pants and get ready to climb in...the workers yell at him ,hey what are doing....the engineer says...well i just dropped a quarter in there when i was pulling my pants up.....so what say the workers....well i'm not going in there for a lousy quarter says the engineer

i came out of a porta jon one time and saw an engineer heading in next.
i told him theres no toilet paper so you need to use a dollar,he says thanks and heads in.

10 minutes later he comes out bitching with his hands covered with crap. :S
so i say hey i told ya to use a dollar! :blink:
he says yeah i know but all i had was a five,so i had to use 3 quarters ,2 dimes and a nickel! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.