Cometic issues

More
18 Feb 2011 04:17 #431455 by turboguzzi
Cometic issues was created by turboguzzi
Don't know if this is because I've always read about those great Cometic head gaskets or what.....

BUT, received my first ever Cometic, its for the 750 motor 69mm /810 kit and gosh, what a let down.....

Cant see what's so great about it in terms of materials, specially compared to the latest stock ZR7 gaskets I've seen which seem to use much better materials,

But main problem is plain sloppy manufacturing. the distance between the two locating dowels is off by a few millimeters! This obviously misplaces the whole gasket off the bore's edges too, a real problem as I'll be running a little bit of negative deck (0.010) on the wiseco pistons.

Gonna have to somehow fix this myself as just don't have the time to send it back form Italy to the US and wait for one, first race is coming up in three weeks and need to button up the motor this week. Not sure that a replacement gasket would be fine either. Quite a bummer.

So did i get a lemon or are these common issues with Cometic gaskets. If they are then cant see why people hold them in such high regard...

Any other options for 750/810 head gaskets (with 69 bores)?

(pic: this is what happens when the hole on the other side fits the dowel...)

TG
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2011 06:54 #431506 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Cometic issues
The 750 Turbo folks say the ZR7 stock MLS gasket is the one to use on 810 kits, they say you can trim back the edges if needed to match the 69mm bore. And they're definitely not in favor of the Cometic gaskets.

KD9JUR

More
18 Feb 2011 09:22 #431533 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Cometic issues
mmm... interesting, just didnt though you could open the stock one up to 69mm.....

Lorcan? are you there? Can confirm?

More
18 Feb 2011 11:27 - 18 Feb 2011 11:28 #431563 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Cometic issues
I never had a problem with Cometic until last year. The copper exhaust washer for my 05 KX250 was a few, yes...FEW MM's too large in diameter. It didn't even fit inside the cylinder. Also, the head o-rings were not the same size as OEM. I emailed them and told them it's happened to a few people with my model bike. Sounded like they were going to do something about it, but who knows.

I try to only buy OEM since then, no problems, and you can find them cheap on Ebay sometimes.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 18 Feb 2011 11:28 by Kidkawie.

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
18 Feb 2011 11:47 #431571 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Cometic issues
Well, this is troubling news, since I recently bought a bottem end gasket kit from Cometic. They said they did not stock Kz gaskets, and would have to make mine. Hopefully their stamping dies are still precise :dry:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end