Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cam Timing kz750 l3 25 Oct 2005 21:29 #4308

• mbsween
  • mbsween's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm in the processes of putting the l3 back together. I recently installed an 810 kit.

So I get to the cam timing part, which always scares me, so this time around I took a who;e bunch of pics, which are at

www.bike-night.com/bbs/index.php?showtopic=235&st=0&#entry2236

Take a look and let me know if you thinkl I got it right

Thanks
Matt

Here's a shot of the timing , the 1 and 4 pistons are at TDC

Post edited by: mbsween, at: 2005/10/2600:30

Post edited by: mbsween, at: 2005/10/26 00:35
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam Timing kz750 l3 26 Oct 2005 08:26 #4386

• Walt
  • Visitor
Sorry to say that your intake cam is off. The exhaust cam looks ok but I count the intake cam mark line at between 46 and 47 pins should be between 45 and 46. I counted twice.

Cam Timing kz750 l3 26 Oct 2005 11:53 #4437

• luvmykaw
  • Visitor
I found it much easier to get a visual reference after I used a paint marker. You know, the type that salvage yards use for marking parts. I used yellow on the cam sprocket arrows and the cam chain pins. Ignore the red crap on the sprocket, it was a learning process for me.;)

Cam Timing kz750 l3 27 Oct 2005 12:31 #4690

• mbsween
  • User
Chris is your chain tensioner in for that pic? I'm wondering what it looks like before the valve cover is on

Cam Timing kz750 l3 27 Oct 2005 12:36 #4691

• mbsween
  • User
Walt,
it must be the angle. I've counted it a bunch of times and I get 23 links between the Ex and IN lines, which is pins 45 & 46. I've gone over it about 20 times.

Now you've got me counting them ago B) I can't wait to start this thing!

Cam Timing kz750 l3 27 Oct 2005 14:30 #4721

• luvmykaw
  • Visitor
mbsween wrote:

Walt,
it must be the angle. I've counted it a bunch of times and I get 23 links between the Ex and IN lines, which is pins 45 & 46. I've gone over it about 20 times.

Now you've got me counting them ago B) I can't wait to start this thing!

To my eye you're dead on, between 45 and 46 pins, with both cam sprocket guide lines horizontal. The picture that you have here is not very good. Last winter I just bolted my cam chain tensioner back on and my cam chain guide, then cycled the engine (always forward, never backward) without the valve cover on it. I cycled through enough times until I was satisfied that everything was lined up correctly.........I had to do this because I screwed things up quite nicely at first. I took my cam chain tensioner off and cam chain guide out, well, just to look at them.:huh: Then I was doinking around turning the engine with a 17mm wrench off the bolt by the points plate. I went forward, backward, forward, then... I noticed some weirdness with the cam chain. When I was going backward, the cam chain was bunching up and jumping teeth. Master mechanic that I am, I got the engine so out of time that it would lock up with about a quarter wrench turn. I was going to change the cam chain anyway, so I did that, then I had to fiddle with lifting the new cam chain andturning the cams several times, until I had everything all lined up again. I used the yellow paint to make it easier for me to count the pins and see that the cams were positioned correctly.

Cam Timing kz750 l3 27 Oct 2005 14:55 #4726

• mbsween
  • User
Chris,
thanks, there's a good version of that pic at

kz.mbsween.com/media/cam-timing-final-big.jpg

Its way to big to post tho. Thanks for the info, I've done the whole turn the engine the wrong way before, you really have to make sure to take up the slack with your fingers or a handle or something before turning it over.

Matt

Cam Timing kz750 l3 27 Oct 2005 17:51 #4760

• luvmykaw
  • Visitor
This thread is pertinent to your situation, as your bike has a different cam chain guide/tensioners than mine. These guys have infinitely more experience than I do. So maybe check out the thread below, it's in the Engine forum.

First time GPz1100 valve clearance-timing work. Could use some voice of experience... - 2005/10/25 13:24

• Page: