Thread Boss Repair

More
07 Feb 2011 05:53 #429137 by dejavoodo41
Thread Boss Repair was created by dejavoodo41
The previous owner of my bike used RTV and over tightened the bolts instead of a valve cover gasket which I remedied shortly after getting the bike but lately I have noticed that several of the tread bosses are beginning to show cracks. I was wondering if there was a cost effective way to repair these cracks or if it is something I will need to remove the head and have a pro remedy or if I would be better off to just replace the head. I really don't want to have to go that route since my current head has had some head work done on it although I don't know exactly what has been done but the intake side has been opened up and smoothed out and matches the J style intakes that I installed when I changed carbs.

Thanks in advance for any input

Roger

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2011 10:22 #429166 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Thread Boss Repair
Some riders have used Heli-Coil inserts, others love these:
www.timesert.com/

It depends on how hard is it to access the damaged threads.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Feb 2011 10:32 #429170 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Thread Boss Repair
I had a similar issue with a dirtbike case. If you tighten too much on the bolts the crack spreads apart. I vee'd out the crack using a small rotary too (porting tool) and welded the crack. If your threads are good then that's all you should need. If not, you'll have to epoxy in a helicoil or time-sert depending on how much room you have to work with. A time-sert is ideal because it's thicker than a helicoil but you need to remove more original material to use the same size hardware.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
08 Feb 2011 05:30 #429349 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Thread Boss Repair
Thanks for the replies. That is what I figured was going to need to be done. I just wanted to clarify. I think that since nothing is leaking excessively at the moment I'll just let it be for now. I plan on putting new sleeves in it and replacing the 1105 kit with a 1075 next year so I'll just fix it when I have it apart.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL