Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

clutch assembly 26 Apr 2006 14:21 #42907

• incognito0160
  • incognito0160's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm tearing down a 650 motor to check out the lower end and need to get the rest of the clutch basket out but the one nut inside is giving me some trouble. I'm not sure if it's a locking nut or a little locking piece of metal in there. I don't have the proper tool that clymers suggests. you guys have any ideas on how to get it out? I believe it's nut number 25

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

clutch assembly 26 Apr 2006 16:12 #42935

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
It's just a regular nut with a toothed washer to help keep it from working loose. It's easy to get off with the clutch holder tool, near impossible otherwise. If you have junk clutch plates laying around, use one of the metal plates and weld a hard bar to it thats hard enough not to bend and make your own tool. I can't even weld, to put it mildly, but made a tool in just a few minutes and it worked great.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

clutch assembly 26 Apr 2006 18:19 #42979

• incognito0160
  • incognito0160's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hmmm, I have old clutch plates but no access to a welder where i'm at.

If I don't figure this out tomorrow I guess i'll just haul the motor to the shop and have them take it off for me.

Thanks for the idea

clutch assembly 27 Apr 2006 05:47 #43099

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If you have a steel plate, take it to any shop with a welder and have them weld a foot long rod to the edge. That essentially is the "special tool". If you have access to an air impact driver, that will knock that nut off in no time. You can also put the bike in gear, set it on its back tire, and use a long pipe on a breaker bar for leverage while someone holds the clutch with one of those big vise-grip type holders...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: