Modding Stock Exhaust

More
24 Jan 2011 12:23 #424995 by Marneman
Modding Stock Exhaust was created by Marneman
I searched a little but couldn't find anyone who has done a thread on modding stock KZ exhaust. I have an 82 KZ100 LTD K2, with the stock exhaust. Anyone aware of any slick mods to make these breathe a little better?

Thanks,

Bill

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2011 12:43 #425004 by nbrider
Replied by nbrider on topic Modding Stock Exhaust
You can always remove baffles, but keep in mind you would probably need to re-jet. The engineers that made the bike had the carbs set in a way that it would work great with the stock exhaust. Any tweaking on the exhaust or the air filter often will result in carb adjustments.

You looking for a different sound or are you having issues with your current exhaust?

I've heard of people doing work on their exhausts with good success, but I have also seen many of my friends end up regretting it.

I guess I can answer more if I know exactly what you want as the results!

T.

1983 KZ440 LTD
Black paint- Soon to be something new!

More
24 Jan 2011 12:53 #425007 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic Modding Stock Exhaust
The stock pipes always sounded a little "too" muffled to me. I have to think they are pretty restrictive to accomplish this also. Seems to go with the other emissions junk on the bike. Maybe I am opening a bad can of worms here, but since I did... I gotta go through the carbs anyways, and am running a K&N filter in a stock airbox. So re-jetting may be in order as is.

They look alright, just wondering if I could mod the baffle some.

Thanks,

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

More
24 Jan 2011 13:05 #425009 by nbrider
Well you certainly have a lot more options if your going to be modding the jets.

A lot of people I know have drilled out their baffles, I know others that have removed them completely, and I also know a guy with a KZ400 that drilled five holes in a circle at the end of his muffler.

. 0 .

. .

The 0 represents the Opening on the end of the muffler while the periods are where he drilled the holes. The holes were only about 1/8".

If your gonna be rejetting anyways, I would do some searched on removing or modifying your baffles. Their are certainly options without needing to go out and get a new exhaust.

1983 KZ440 LTD

More
24 Jan 2011 13:05 #425010 by nbrider
My diagram didn't work..

Picture a pentagon, where the center in the exhaust hole, and the points are the drilled holes.

1983 KZ440 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Jan 2011 13:06 #425012 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Modding Stock Exhaust
You could by some slip-on's to take the place of the OEM mufflers. Or depending on what your looking for watch for some used exhaust systems, if you know what you're looking for post a wanted both here in a thread, and in the classified section of KZR. Someone might have just what you want hanging in the garage.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
24 Jan 2011 13:28 #425017 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Modding Stock Exhaust
Marneman wrote:

I searched a little but couldn't find anyone who has done a thread on modding stock KZ exhaust. I have an 82 KZ100 LTD K2, with the stock exhaust. Anyone aware of any slick mods to make these breathe a little better?

Thanks,

Bill

Yep.Jerk em off ,hang in the garage for when u want to make some money, and bolt on a Vance and Hines Sidewinder.bj

More
24 Jan 2011 15:43 #425062 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Modding Stock Exhaust
Any way you look at it, you will be making compromises.
Stock pipes are quiet and flow fairly well at low to moderate rpm. They generally do not flow so well as engine speed elevates.

Removing the baffle will increase high rpm flow, but may cause problems down low and will be loud x 10. Your neighbors may throw rocks at you, and what happened in California is likely to spread. Also, the intake box, carbs and cams were not designed for a no-back pressure exhaust.

Modifying the stock baffles or aftermarket mufflers will likely land you somewhere in between the choices above.

Without other mods, even radical changes in the exhaust system will net very little, if any, gain in power, but can reduce weight and increase noise. Running an open exhaust with no other mods will likely decrease power as well as the friendliness of the neighbors and cops.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough