HELP- Starting issue

More
24 Jan 2011 09:21 #424954 by nbrider
HELP- Starting issue was created by nbrider
First off, im not mechanically inclined..

I bought a 1983 KZ440, and when i got it a few weeks ago it would fire up with full choke, idle fine with no issue. Now I went to start it today and it wont idle. It'll sputter, almost idle, then die off. It isnt idling strong when it does, it is weak and only lasts a few seconds.. I haven't changed anything on the bike and don't know what to do. I don't think im mechanically inclined enough to take it apart, and I don't have money to bring it anywhere for a repair

Possible issues and start procedures?

It is -26 celcius today, but my garage isn't too bad.

1983 KZ440 LTD
Black paint- Soon to be something new!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2011 09:34 #424957 by nbrider
Replied by nbrider on topic HELP- Starting issue
update-

I went back out and put on full choke and held the start button for about 3 seconds (missisipi count)

It fired right up, let it idle with the choke up for a second and slowly put the choke off..

So my question is why did it so magically fire up now but not before?

1983 KZ440 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Jan 2011 11:58 #424987 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic HELP- Starting issue
Well lets see if this will help.
1st if you look at your petcock/ fuel valve, does it show "Prime"? If so your should turn it here before starting a bike that hasn't been run in awhile. Next Choke all the way, and don't touch the throttle until it fires and will run on choke. These simple things might be all you need. Or there could be other issues. A trickle or Float battery charger is a real good investment, a Volt Ohm Meter/ DVOM, so you can do some voltage checks. The guys here will help you now doubt about it. Then there is the Carburetor disassembly and cleaning, tune-up/ new plugs, checking compression/ valve clearances, you might be able to do quite a bit of it yourself with some help from KZR. By all means get a good service manual for your bike. While the Factory Manual is the best, others can be good enough for basic service and repair. I have 1 that's a Haynes, and it is pretty good. I have it on Feebay at the moment.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Jan 2011 12:32 #424999 by nbrider
Replied by nbrider on topic HELP- Starting issue
Excellent advice,

Turns out I wasnt giving it enough of a chance with full choke, I was hitting it only for a second then taking the choke off.

I hacve started it, let it cool, started it and let it cool, and it just started again. The prime also helped the first time to get it going.

Love the fairing in your pic btw motorhead, pretty sweet looking ride.

1983 KZ440 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Jan 2011 12:42 #425003 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic HELP- Starting issue
Good to here you are figuring it out. They can be pretty cold blooded the old Carb's.
That bike I got from the original owner with the fairing and rear rack/ trunk on it. Some don't like the big fairings, but I enjoy it. Gives me places to put stuff too, you can lock stuff up in 1 side compartment. Handy for spare gloves, maps, camera, etc.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...