First time Engine assembly

More
20 Jan 2011 22:30 #424042 by calvin17d
First time Engine assembly was created by calvin17d
Hey guys, just got it all cleaned up and painted, with the sanded fins. Got new rings, valves & seals (lapped in), and complete gasket with oil seal kit.

Just about ready to go here. Wondering where it is appropriate to use any kind of liquid gasket in addition to what i have gotten.

My father suggested using "white grease" as assembly lube. I feel this may be true for wrist pins and top end bearings and valve components but was thinking that piston dipped in motor oil sounded better down below.

Thougts? or other tips / tricks? Going to attempt the zip tie ring compressor trick.

1976 Kz900 A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2011 23:04 #424046 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic First time Engine assembly
i install pistons rings dry myself anyway.
get 2-3 cans of good spray carb cleaner and a couple rolls of plain ol toilet paper(yes toilet paper :laugh: )after you run a hone up/down the cylinder to knock the glaze out of there grab a handfull of that tp and spray it down really good with the carb cleaner.
start scrubbing the bores and keep changing tp and spraying down bores with carb cleaner till you dont see anymore black crud coming out.
i like spray on copper coat on both sides of base gasket and valve cover gaskets.smear a little silicone around bottem o passage o'rings before installing cylinder

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
21 Jan 2011 04:06 #424063 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic First time Engine assembly
I use white assembly grease on my top end etc, but not on pistons/rings.

Pay particular attention to reassembly of the jugs on the cases...follow PLUMMENs advice and slso make sure the bottoms of your jugs and tops of your cases (the mating surfaces) are very clean as it is really a PITA to have to pull the jugs again to reclean (I speak from a position of strength :) ).

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
21 Jan 2011 06:22 #424082 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic First time Engine assembly
I use soap and water after honing, cleans all the bits of crud out, dont see the zip ties working for ya but they might, start with the inside pistons and work your way out, as far as the white grease, a thin layer is good but some people go crazy with the stuff, could affect tolarance and torque if applied to heavy, go slow, and don't be afraid to take something back apart if it don't feel right, better to be safe than sorry, good luck!

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
21 Jan 2011 08:00 - 21 Jan 2011 08:03 #424090 by Hogslayer
Replied by Hogslayer on topic First time Engine assembly
Everyone has their methods, butI have found that installing all gaskets but head gaskets dry seems to work best.If you check the factory manuals they only use sealants on cases (Kawi Bond and Yama Bond etc).I have tried many sealants and Gaskacinch by Edelbrock works great!Buy a small can or tube of assembly lube thats what it is designed for ,not sure all white greases are intended to be mixed with motor oil. KAWASAKI MAN SINCE 77
Last edit: 21 Jan 2011 08:03 by Hogslayer.

More
21 Jan 2011 08:04 #424093 by calvin17d
Replied by calvin17d on topic First time Engine assembly
So Im gathering that at a minimum the head gaskets need some add'l help with sealant. Valve cover seems to be a leaky spot, or at least it was when this engine was running last.

1976 Kz900 A4

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
21 Jan 2011 09:17 - 21 Jan 2011 09:21 #424102 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic First time Engine assembly
Fabric/material gaskets (other than the head gasket) are pretty over rated.

Its all about the prep and application. Gasket surfaces must be very flat when mating, and VERY clean before applying anyhting to them.

Most people are so paranoid about leaks that they overkill everything. Totally not necessary from experience.

A good copper ringed head gasket requires nothing to be added to it for proper sealing, even in high performance applications. Studs/nuts and proper torque application is most important.

For ALL of the rest of the gaskets including base gasket, use:

Grease of any kind on a head gasket or near high temp combustion areas turns to rock hard carbon, and can cause all sorts of other problems, including making it damn near impossible for removal later. Don't bother.

Use your fingers to compress the rings, its easy. Zip ties and the like just get in the way and slow things down. There should be lots of chanmfered surface at the bottom of the cylinders unless they have been bored out.
Use lots of good oil.

Grease on old fibre gaskets around the crankcase and such is fine and works well for re-use.

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jan 2011 09:21 by TeK9iNe.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
21 Jan 2011 10:22 - 21 Jan 2011 10:28 #424112 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic First time Engine assembly
we used a high temp copper spray sealant last time on head gasket, either/or I've done without
you'll need a extra set of hands, preferably a set with a set of ears attached to it that function.
also those ears need to be attached to a brain that will follow directions. this can be difficult to achieve

hose clamps work well too, though this last time I had a buddy that had a original Kaw factory ring compressor tool, (he was a dealer back in 74) that held all four at once.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2011 10:28 by stonemaster.

More
21 Jan 2011 12:06 #424131 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic First time Engine assembly
Hogslayer wrote:

Everyone has their methods, butI have found that installing all gaskets but head gaskets dry seems to work best.If you check the factory manuals they only use sealants on cases (Kawi Bond and Yama Bond etc).I have tried many sealants and Gaskacinch by Edelbrock works great!Buy a small can or tube of assembly lube thats what it is designed for ,not sure all white greases are intended to be mixed with motor oil. KAWASAKI MAN SINCE 77

+1 to all that ^^^

Not all white grease is the same. Make sure you buy "assembly lube".

I like a thin coat of engine oil on pistons and bores and bearings before assembly.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Jan 2011 14:08 #424155 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic First time Engine assembly
Did you get a new cam chain, and pieces? Adjust the valve clearances? Also put a new Inline fuel filter in before fueling those clean carbs. Use a torque wrench, then after a couple heat cycles re-torque everything, head, valve cover, exhaust, etc. Use a good oil, non synthetic for break in. I change it after the first couple decent rides, maybe 150 miles.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
21 Jan 2011 14:45 #424167 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic First time Engine assembly
lemo32 wrote:

I use soap and water after honing, cleans all the bits of crud out, dont see the zip ties working for ya but they might, start with the inside pistons and work your way out, as far as the white grease, a thin layer is good but some people go crazy with the stuff, could affect tolarance and torque if applied to heavy, go slow, and don't be afraid to take something back apart if it don't feel right, better to be safe than sorry, good luck!

BINGO ;)

HOT SOAPY WATER to clean that block and a bottle brush. Then blow it dry and spray the bores with WD40. Then take a clean white cloth and rub the bores until the rag stops discoloring.

Light coating of oil on he piston skirts & rings. Just enough to give them a film. After block is installed, take a paper towel and wipe every bit of oil you can from the bores before you put the head on. Turn the motor over several times and keep wiping the bores...

Go the the auto parts store and get a bottle of lifter lube for the cam bearings and cam lobes.

OIL your cam tower bolt threads before you put the caps on.

More
21 Jan 2011 15:30 #424176 by calvin17d
Replied by calvin17d on topic First time Engine assembly
Everything has been cleaned and cleaned again, scrubbed and brushed with Acetone. I did a quick paint on the jugs and head. Cam chain and all accessories are in GREAT shape. Today I picked up the extra carb cleaner, copper gasket spray, lucas assembly lube, and an extra can of WD40. As stated I have the complete gasket and O-ring kit, so im intending to get my monies worth by using them, most likely in conjunction with a quick spritz from the copper spray can.
I will likely apply some clean motor oil to the pistons to please the old man.

Thanks guys!

1976 Kz900 A4