• Page:

TOPIC:

exhaust question - HELP! 24 Apr 2006 18:09 #42313

• IowaKZ
  • IowaKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
  • Thank you received: 5
OK here's the set up: I have a 1980 KZ1000 G1 classic. It has a 4-1 header that I took off to repaint. I put new copper crush gaskets on it and put it back together today and started it up.

Problem 1: it is really noisy up by the engine with lots of ticking and clicking. Much louder than before I took off the pipes. When I looked closer I saw that two or three of the "keeper" edges were bent/curled up. Because of this, they are not seated evenly in the finned flanges. I am guessing that this is keeping me from getting an even seal around the exhaust port. Is this the case? If so, I am in for a new set of keepers because I tried to flatten the flanges out and I couldn't.

Problem 2: the #2 flange was broken (split in 1/2). I got a used one from the local Kawie dealer. Then I had a little problem putting it on. Now I looked again today after I put it all together and the new one has a split in it. This is suggesting that my exhaust studs are bent on that cylinder and I overstressed it when I put it on. Does this sound right? Anyone else have this problem. I am guessing this is going to mean a new set of studs.

Sorry for the long post. I think I have the problems and solutions figured out, but I wanted to check with someone else who has been there before.

thanks all in advance.

Dale
1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

exhaust question - HELP! 24 Apr 2006 20:02 #42375

• wireman
  • Visitor
yeah they can be a bit of a pain.you should be able to put a straight edge on the studs to tell if they are bent,be really carefull cranking down on the studs so you dont screw up the threads in the head.once you get a straight set of collars a rubber band is the best way i know to hold them on the pipe while you mount header.be sure to install new crush washers i always put the smooth side against the header tube.if you cantfind another flange let me know ;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: