1975 Z1 Side Cover

More
15 Jan 2011 20:09 #422541 by davej6997
1975 Z1 Side Cover was created by davej6997
I have a 1975 Z900 and I have noticed an oil leak on the left side under the side cover. It appears it is leaking around the wires that come out of the stator.

Just to be clear this is not the cover over the clutch cable adjustment. It is the one just in front of it.

Do you need to drain the oil before you take the cover off?

I cant tell from my manual or anything I have found so far online.

The other question is if there is even supposed to be oil in there?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2011 20:12 #422542 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1975 Z1 Side Cover
Click > www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=373

There's a little oil in there.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 Jan 2011 21:02 #422571 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1975 Z1 Side Cover
Try this sealing procedure:

I have had good luck with three bond 1194.
For excellent results this is a two day job. Most importent is to make sure everything is spotless clean
I use carb cleaner to clean cover ,wires and gromet and make sure all old gasket has ben removed
I completely coat the wires with three bond and push/pull them through gromet holes ,apply thin coat aound the grommet and on the
cover. The three bond is thin,self leveling so have the cover proped up where it will not move for a few days.
After setting the gromet in place I puddle the three bond around the wires and where the gromet meets the cover. Just a nice
thin coating. The important part is the dry time. Patience, let it set 24 hours or more.
No leaks for me!!

I bought three bond from local independent bike shop
discription from there websight

ThreeBond 1194 is a semidrying liquid gasket whose major component is special synthetic rubber. After it is applied and dried, it will form a rubber-like elastic body. Since it excels in padding property, it shows a high sealing effect on bonded surfaces that have poor flatness and large clearance. In addition, it has excellent resistance to water, oil and gasoline

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)