Replacing valve seals??

More
13 Jan 2011 12:44 #421879 by calvin17d
Replacing valve seals?? was created by calvin17d
My manual says a special tool is required to install valve seals. I read a quick writeup in the archives that suggested putting valve seals on the stem and then install.....

Reason I ask is.... I am getting ready to soak my head in diesel as it is quite dirty and I will not be ready to pay for the replacement if it is difficult to do it myself. help?

1976 Kz900 A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2011 19:01 #421985 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Replacing valve seals??
they are not that hard to install, I have used a lot of things to install seals, pipe, sockets, etc, find something that will fit the outside of the seal, and tap them on the guides, be careful not to damage the seal when installing the valve, use oil or assembly lube.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
13 Jan 2011 19:33 #421993 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic Replacing valve seals??
I've used a sprk plug socket with small news paper tucked in side, strike valve spring, be sure not to hit valve, valve keepers will come off, sometimes they fly off, so keeping with a clean area in case you need to find one, remove spring, remove seal, replace, I would do one at a time so as not to get valves mixed up, you then need a valve spring compressor to push down spring and replace keepers, I always lightly tap the spring afterwards, it is absoulety crucial you get keepers on straight, if one goes flying off you could do extensive motor damage, and might damage yourself, in a pinch I've used a large c" clamp and a peice of pipe with a u cut on both sides.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
14 Jan 2011 02:00 #422052 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Replacing valve seals??
I'm not sure what you have in the way of tools, but I suspect what you are posting about is a valve spring compressor. You'll need some form of one...some folks have made their own (there are a number of posts on this site detailing those efforts) or you can purchase one (the prices have come down lately). BUT, you will need one. Other tools required in the reassembly process are two torque wrenches, one in ft-lbs and the other in in-lbs...and a valve shim tool. When the head is disassembled, the valve stem seals are quickly and easily replaced.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
15 Jan 2011 22:56 #422619 by calvin17d
Replied by calvin17d on topic Replacing valve seals??
no, i was talking about the seals. I did the same c clamp method with a piece of 3/4 pvc worked excellent for 13 bucks. back to the seals i think my manual was refering to the valve guides needing a special tool for replacement. I am not replacing the guides, just the seals and want to be sure that i dont damage them. sounds like fitting them inside a socket snugly and pressing them on is the recommended method.

1976 Kz900 A4

More
16 Jan 2011 06:32 #422667 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Replacing valve seals??
calvin17d wrote:

no, i was talking about the seals. I did the same c clamp method with a piece of 3/4 pvc worked excellent for 13 bucks. back to the seals i think my manual was refering to the valve guides needing a special tool for replacement. I am not replacing the guides, just the seals and want to be sure that i dont damage them. sounds like fitting them inside a socket snugly and pressing them on is the recommended method.

Ah, just the seals...you'll damage them when you pull them off...use a needlenose or something similar...make sure you don't grab the tip of the guide with the pliers...to replace, just push them on with the tip of your finger, you'll be able to feel when they slide into place.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
25 Jan 2011 18:49 #425514 by calvin17d
Replied by calvin17d on topic Replacing valve seals??
finally got around to putting these suckers on. It was not easy and they certainly did not slide right on, even with a little synth grease. I ended up using a method that involved some creativity with a socket. If anyone ever has trouble with these send me a PM and I might have an idea or 2.

1976 Kz900 A4