Oil Cooler

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2011 19:30 #421371 by mtbspeedfreak
Oil Cooler was created by mtbspeedfreak
How many of you guys run an oil cooler?

I moved to Southern California, from Pennsylvania, about a year ago. There will be a few days out here when it's 110+ degrees. I'm running the standard 10W-40 oil- granted, it's Amsoil motorcycle oil; but I'm wondering how much better off I'd be with an oil cooler.

I know the stock KZ oil pump only puts out only what, like 3-4 psi? I don't want to risk any major internal damage. I only remember one occasion when the bike severely overheated: I was going down the Vegas strip at 9 PM on Labor day, it was 93 degrees out and I kept hitting stoplight after stoplight. Eventually the bike overheated and stalled out. I cut bait and headed towards the interstate, once I was out on the highway and air was flowing around the jugs, I didn't have any other problems.

A few people have suggested running 20W-50 oil, which is something I'm considering when it starts getting hot out. But I want to make sure I do things the right way.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2011 19:43 #421380 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Oil Cooler
I always thought that the heavier oil helped cool better too, but others have stated that a lighter oil will flow faster and actually help cool faster? Maybe it's a toss-up.

Do you have any mods - increased compression, hot cams, etc?

I would guess it really depends on your typical riding conditions (hwy vs stop and go). I saw one member post an electric fan on his oil cooler which would be the way to go in stop and go traffic. I also saw someone using a thermostat to control when the oil cooler would be used, which seems simply brilliant since a cooler will increase time for the engine to warm up/cause it to run cooler in the colder weather.

I don't have the answer, just some thoughts.

More
10 Jan 2011 20:26 #421402 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic Oil Cooler
I never ran a cooler years ago on my Z1 but only occasionally heard light cracking sounds as the engine metal cooled down in severe weather. I now run a cooler from Earls and only find slow warmup in the spring and fall but a small piece of cardboard to partially cover the cooler held on with zip ties is a simple solution as it can easily be snipped off. Factory optional coolers of the day did not have a thermostat and seemed to do the job but todays products are better engineered and more reliable due to better fittings etc.
Good luck! David

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

More
10 Jan 2011 20:31 #421405 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Oil Cooler

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jan 2011 22:12 #421423 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Oil Cooler
Thanks for your quick replies!

I'm running a stock (minus mildly jetted carbs and a Kerker) KZ900 engine, so the heat output is right on spec. To further complicate things, I ride in ALL conditions, stop and go on the way to Target, stop and go all 60 miles to Santa Monica, "normal" highway cruising all the way to balls to the wall screaming flat-out across the Mojave desert (At sundown, a life-changing experience. I HIGHLY recommend it. Just don't break the posted speed limits );) to rides in 40 (and colder) degree weather in January.

DoubleDub wrote:

I always thought that the heavier oil helped cool better too, but others have stated that a lighter oil will flow faster and actually help cool faster? Maybe it's a toss-up.

That's the opposite of what I heard :) . Wouldn't a higher viscosity oil cause slightly more resistance, therefore generate slightly more heat?

Kawboy74 wrote:

I now run a cooler from Earls and only find slow warmup in the spring and fall but a small piece of cardboard to partially cover the cooler held on with zip ties is a simple solution as it can easily be snipped off. Factory optional coolers of the day did not have a thermostat and seemed to do the job but todays products are better engineered and more reliable due to better fittings etc.
Good luck! David

Thanks! I'd definitely want to make sure it's done the right way, so a thermostat and a nice Earl's cooler and respective plumbing sounds like the way to go.

2000 ZRX 1100

More
11 Jan 2011 11:37 #421502 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Oil Cooler
IMHO, you don't need an oil cooler if you run a good synthetic oil like Amsoil or similar (not fake synthetic, true synthetic). Those oils are so strong they will hold up at very high temps.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2011 12:12 #421503 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Oil Cooler
I run an ELR cooler on my KZ plus an oil pressure,oil temp amd cylinder head temp gauges.On hot,humid days,even running some very good oil,I am glad I got the cooler.The oil temp gets incredible and I do as little stop and go as I can.

More
11 Jan 2011 12:20 #421505 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Oil Cooler
Here's a thread with some very pertinent info

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=2&id=411190#411205

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Ktm181
  • User
  • Man made it, so Man can fix it
More
11 Jan 2011 15:25 #421539 by Ktm181
Replied by Ktm181 on topic Oil Cooler
The only thing i dont like about them it thta the oil will drain back to the crankcase each time, if you dont staart it for weeks it might lead to accellerated wear in top end. BUT big plus is how much cooler the cylinder head and oil run. I am going through same decisions at the moment.

Cheers,
Kt

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jan 2011 00:57 #421649 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Oil Cooler
hocbj23 wrote:

I run an ELR cooler on my KZ plus an oil pressure,oil temp amd cylinder head temp gauges.On hot,humid days,even running some very good oil,I am glad I got the cooler.The oil temp gets incredible and I do as little stop and go as I can.

Out of curiosity, why do you run an oil pressure gauge? Do you have the stock oil pump?

Would you mind posting a URL to the oil temp gauge and maybe a picture showing your set up? I am intrigued!

2000 ZRX 1100

More
12 Jan 2011 04:52 #421656 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic Oil Cooler
Oil coolers are not needed up here in cooler New England. But down south in the constant heat, I can see an oil cooler as good insurance.

If anyone needs a oil cooler, I have a complete setup off a GPz1100 I will sell cheap to a member as a favor. As long as you have a "J" style engine the kit will fit.

Rich

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

More
12 Jan 2011 06:41 #421663 by grumpy56
Replied by grumpy56 on topic Oil Cooler
I removed my Lockhart because of what I thought was a leaking hose elbow at the pressure switch housing. THAT may not be my problem, but I always had, after the bike would sit for several days, a clanking/knocking noise after about 15 seconds when I started it. It would go away in less than a minute never to return until it sat again. Well, since I removed the cooler, no more knock. Nada. I have no clue if we have a true cause and effect here or not, but no more clang and I'm a happier old fool now. Now, back to that oil leak.........

Lewis
1982 KZ1000-J2
2006 HD FXD35
1970 Suzuki T350
1972 Suzuki GT380 (In-Process)
In The Past...71 TM400, 72 H-D SS350, 72 GT380, 75 Z1B, 77 XLH, 79 CB750K