"break in oil" - product alert - avoid this one!

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
08 Jan 2011 16:51 #420844 by gearheadmm
Replied by gearheadmm on topic "break in oil" - product alert - avoid this one!
For a proper education on engine oil see Joe Gibbs racing website. You MUST be ready to load engine shortly after first start up to seat rings if you don't have to break in the cam (singular cam means car). KZ engines have a large surface area, cam & bucket vs spring presure. I've heard of the rings that never seat and are associated with synthetic oil used during break in, I wouldn't do it, but I use 20w-50(turbo) or 15w 40 diesel oil(na)

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2011 18:01 #420868 by keith1
fordtruck wrote:

When I rebuilt my 77 KZ1000 and installed MTC pistons, I followed there advice to not put oil on the pistons and rings. It put the smallest puff of blue smoke out the exhaust when I first started it. After that it doesn't smoke or use oil.

i also used MTC pistons and i dont remember anywhere anything saying not to put a thin coat on skirts and rings during assembly....in fact, i remember instructions saying to lube everything during assembly......go figure...:blink:

More
08 Jan 2011 21:55 #420931 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic "break in oil" - product alert - avoid this one
Break in procedures are like talking about religion. My observation was this: if you had to do anything fancy or clever to get rings to seat, most of the bikes on the road would be spraying oil out the pipe like a crop duster.

When my 750 was brand new, the break in procedure I used was just to ride it in the city. Same thing for the engine when I rebored it. The rings seated perfectly both times. maybe I'm lucky.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Jan 2011 07:21 #421200 by BSKZ650
breakin in a new motor is prob the most important step in the rebuild process, done wrong , and you get to do it all over again.
I have built a ton of race car motors, and dyno or not, set everything close to spec as you can , fire it up and run it at about 3k rpm for 30 min making sure to check timing and keep an eye on temps and oil.
bring it down to a idle and let run for 10 min to shut down.

just my 10 cents worth

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
13 Jan 2011 11:41 #421859 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic "break in oil" - product alert - avoid this one!
If your friend thinks that running a 1/4 mile pass without a water pump fixed the problem, then he's not quite the "pro" mechanic you think he is.
Sounds like improper cylinder wall finish for type of rings being used.
I have used that products on several motors and never had an issue, and also never wiped out a cam lobe, which is the real usage for it.

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
14 Jan 2011 13:06 #422167 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic "break in oil" - product alert - avoid this one!
Once at work we had a person return some Mobil 1 10w40 bike oil because it didn't look right when they opened it. When I looked at it it was probably 90% water. Something had to have gone wrong during the bottling process because all 4 quarts were the same full of oily water. I had never seen anything like it before or since. Stuff like that can happen when the whole bottling process is automated.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
14 Jan 2011 14:22 #422180 by Jack
Injected wrote:

Drag racers usually don't have the luxury of being able to break motors in anyways, so I believe these guys have a set procedure they follow - no idling is a given.( /quote]

Yup, a couple of heat cycles,retorque and head for the burnout box. Dino oil for 1 pass, then the good stuff of your choice...never had a problem.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B