• Ktm181
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Man made it, so Man can fix it
More
06 Jan 2011 22:21 #420464 by Ktm181
RUNNING IN OIL was created by Ktm181
Gentlemen,

"running in oil"....not easily available down here in Aussie, my intention is to just use Motul 3000 series (mineral) and add enough Zinc to get it up around 1800ppm, any concerns? What do you all recommend? Should Zinc additive be run after running in my cams (especially) and engine?

Once again thankyou all in advance for you input, my Kz900 is nearing completion and then startup in next few days (hopefully) I will then post up some pics.

regards,
Kt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
06 Jan 2011 22:26 #420467 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic RUNNING IN OIL
Just to clarify I suspect by 'running in oil' probably the equivalent here in the states is "break-in oil".

I was not even aware of such a beast, nor of using a Zinc additive -- does the Zinc result in a better engine break-in (run-in) process and if so, what is the benefit?

Also what would you expect to find in a break-in lubricant that's not found in regular 10W-40 motor oil?

Thanks for your post, I learned something.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
06 Jan 2011 22:37 #420469 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic RUNNING IN OIL
What he is refering to is required when breaking in new aircraft engines, but I have no idea on it's application in motorcycle engines. You use mineral oil for the first 25 hours of operation, then change the mineral oil and filter out for your normal oil like Aeroshell 50 or whatever is spec'ed. Someone with much more Kawi engine breakin experience will chime in though, so just sit tight.

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
07 Jan 2011 00:03 #420474 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic RUNNING IN OIL
coat the cam lobes/lifters/lifter bores with assembly lube.
crank the motor over with plugs/wires pulled till you see oil up top with valve cover off,button it up and ride it for half an hour.
you know the rest of the story B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Ktm181
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Man made it, so Man can fix it
More
07 Jan 2011 00:08 #420476 by Ktm181
Replied by Ktm181 on topic RUNNING IN OIL
Thanks for the replies gents, i just noticed Motul have an additive called Calcium Sulphonate which i have never heard of, apparently some sort of "barier' layer additive used in high end greases and now oils, had anyone heard of this before?
Kt

More
07 Jan 2011 11:09 #420576 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic RUNNING IN OIL
Ktm181 wrote:

Gentlemen,

"running in oil"....not easily available down here in Aussie, my intention is to just use Motul 3000 series (mineral) and add enough Zinc to get it up around 1800ppm, any concerns? What do you all recommend? Should Zinc additive be run after running in my cams (especially) and engine?

I use ZDDP Plus zinc additive in my oil since I run auto oils with very low zinc content.

1979 KZ-750 Twin