valves

More
05 Jan 2011 19:51 #420277 by luger
valves was created by luger
i have a 76kz900 head that a local shop did a valve job on and i think he set the valve to deep. when i try to bench shim the head i have no clearence with 2.00 shim and valve tip is only about 4.0mm or less. how can this be fixed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2011 22:44 - 05 Jan 2011 22:45 #420305 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic valves
Depends. If they cut the seats so deep that a new valve can't be tip ground far enough to give clearance then the head is toast.

Are these new valves or have they been ground on the faces? If the valves have been ground on the face, new valves might give a little more clearance at the shim.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 05 Jan 2011 22:45 by bountyhunter.

More
06 Jan 2011 00:51 #420319 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic valves
You can tip the valve clear down to the keeper ( even farther if necessary ) You are getting in the area where the head should be set up by someone who knows them well.

One should have one of these stem height gauges to make sure your problem doesn't occur.

racetoolz.com/

More
06 Jan 2011 11:42 #420365 by luger
Replied by luger on topic valves
can the seats be replaced?

More
06 Jan 2011 11:48 #420366 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic valves
are the stems on j valves any shorter?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
06 Jan 2011 12:27 #420369 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic valves
luger wrote:

can the seats be replaced?

With the valve seal and spring seat removed, the installed height of the valve should be 1.475". That's from the bottom of the tappet bore to the top of the stem. That height puts you in the middle of the shim range.

That little aluminum block Jay pointed out to you is simply a range finder for the installed height. Think of it as a go / no go guage. Middle of the range is 1.475".

Most likely all that needs to be done to your head is to disassemble the valves and tip about .020 - .030" off the tip of the stems.

Pull it back off and give the shop that information. They should be able to grind the stems for you. Just explain to the guy what you ran up against and most likely he'll be happy to correct the situation for you. It's not a big deal. Shit happens.... ;)

Forget using J valves for this situation. That's a whole nother matter altogether and a bunch of work to boot..

More
06 Jan 2011 13:21 #420376 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic valves
i was thinking if it was to the point where valve seats were too gone and valves couldnt be tipped enough to compensate B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.