Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1015 Engine Head Bolt Washers 25 Oct 2005 13:52 #4178

• Doebag UK
  • Doebag UK's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Just doing a service and valve clearance check on my Z1100A, and noticed a slight oil leak, which looks like it is coming from the copper washers under the head nuts. Can these washers be replaced by just removing one head nut at a time, or will this cause problems with the head gasket possibly blowing later.

Ride safe Doebag

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1015 Engine Head Bolt Washers 25 Oct 2005 14:08 #4181

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Doebag, first check if the head-nut is loose. The head may have never had a re-tighten procedure carried out. I have seen some finger tight! If it is loose re-tighten all nuts in sequence.
If it is tight, I would undo all bolts (simply just break/ crack them). Remove the offending washer and replace it with a new one, re-tighten all with correct procedure.
Regardz
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

1015 Engine Head Bolt Washers 26 Oct 2005 12:11 #4443

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Garn is a smart fella but I suspect that your head may have been torqued but the copper crush washer used to seal the oil journal underneath is drooling a bit. To fix it, you don't need a new one generally speaking. Get a torch and heat the thing till it is RED HOT. Then dunk it in some cold water. This process is called annealing and it restores the compression and the thing won't leak. Torque it to whatever a "1015" is supposed to be torqued to for the 2nd tightening... like 25 lbs/ft (PLEASE LOOK IN MANUAL AS MY MEMORY IS BAD AND MY KZ1000 MANUAL IS AT THE SHOP).
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

1015 Engine Head Bolt Washers 28 Oct 2005 22:34 #5084

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
  • Thank you received: 3
by "the thing" i believe george is speaking of the washer, not your alum block/head, as red hot would warp them!

however i am no expert, maybe a warped head will not leak :p (just kidding of course!)
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• Page: