slight oil leak

More
03 Dec 2010 12:28 #415181 by merslinger
slight oil leak was created by merslinger
1993 kz1000 just got it and it has a small oil leak. looks like it just seeps out from the head gasket. vi figure this is typical but does anyone have experience with this. is it easy fix.

1993 kz1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2010 16:31 #415208 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic slight oil leak
depends: head gaskets are not easy to fix but it's more likely a valve cover gasket leak or tach cable seal. Are you sure the leak is from the head gasket?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Dec 2010 16:53 #415211 by merslinger
Replied by merslinger on topic slight oil leak
im sorry i wrote it wrong you are right it is just seeping out of the cover gasket but that is easy right?

1993 kz1000

More
03 Dec 2010 17:10 - 03 Dec 2010 17:12 #415214 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic slight oil leak
Would first positively identify spot where leaking.

Clean engine.
Allow to dry.
Spray foot powder onto suspected leak areas.
With engine running in neutral, closely observe suspected leak areas with flashlight to see where powder darkens.

Could be valve cover gasket and/or half-moon plugs and/or tach drive, any or all of which are relatively easy and inexpensive repairs.

And all related parts should be readily available from Z1 Enterprises.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 Dec 2010 17:12 by Patton.

More
04 Dec 2010 04:26 #415253 by ace
Replied by ace on topic slight oil leak
yes mine leaks from top too...all my jeans got spots on em at the boot!!!!has gotten worse since i started runnin rotella oil but the engine loves the new oil . is this normal cuz i ALWAYS ran the cheap shit b4???

78kz1000

More
04 Dec 2010 04:56 #415255 by Patton
Regarding oil seepage appearing on engine fins, and perhaps also getting on pants legs, boots, etc., in addition to the areas already mentioned, would also check for any loose exhaust clamp nuts. And for possible leakage past the exhaust port gaskets.

If oil cooler is fitted, assure integrity of hose connections.

Imo, simply changing brand of dino oil should not by itself cause an oil leak. Changing from dino to synthetic has reportedly resulted in leakage past engine seals which didn't leak before while using dino oil.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Dec 2010 05:07 #415257 by ace
Replied by ace on topic slight oil leak
i can actually see my leaks...lol waiting till i get in there to check & adjust everything. is there an actual paper gasket? i always use the brown gasket cement,po used the blue syn stuff,do u have a preference?

78kz1000

More
04 Dec 2010 06:36 #415277 by Patton
With regard to Kawasaki large fours ---

With perfectly clean unscathed mating surfaces, a new valve cover gasket may be installed dry, without any sealant whatever, and be totally oil-tight and leak-free.

The half-moons should be thoroughly cleaned, and a thin film of silicone sealant may be applied to them on their mating surfaces immediately prior to installation.
This should prevent any leakage around the half-moons.

A new seal and o-ring in the tach drive should eliminate any leakage around or through the tach drive.
The old seal may be encrusted, hardened and almost petrified, requiring careful removal by picking it out in tiny chunks. Be certain to get all of the old seal removed, so the new seal can properly seat in its position.

A properly functioning and sealed tach drive should not leak whatever, even without the tach cable attached.

Good Fortune. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2010 07:29 #415283 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic slight oil leak
ace wrote:

is there an actual paper gasket? i always use the brown gasket cement,po used the blue syn stuff,do u have a preference?

Yes, please use a real gasket.
Gaskets: www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=KZ1000-P12-1993-GA0
Valve Cover Gasket: www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=459
Tachometer O-Ring Seal: www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1585 (not positive this is for your bike, I would call and verify with Z1E)