Clutch Cable Routing

More
29 Nov 2010 17:26 #414713 by paddlerbob
Clutch Cable Routing was created by paddlerbob
I'm starting to feel like a dummy here. I have searched the manuals (Haynes and one sent to me from the forum). This GPS 550 (1985) is more or less a basket case. The clutch cable is now routed from right of the engine, under the carbs, around the left cylinder and swoops right up to the lever. It doesn't look right. Seems it should be secured to something. Is it supposed to run under the tank? Need some help and I promise I wont bother you for another week.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2010 05:02 #414780 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Clutch Cable Routing
That routing doesn't sound right to me, but I don't know anything about the 85 ZX550.
I'd guess that someone put a longer cable on the bike for whatever reason... just a guess - I'd measure it. The clutch cable is typically routed on the same side as the clutch lever & just kinda snaked thru the triple tree n stuff. Sometimes theres a frame clamp & a cable guide at the upper triple.

More
30 Nov 2010 17:35 #414867 by paddlerbob
Replied by paddlerbob on topic Clutch Cable Routing
Thanks JM, Think Im going up the spine under the tank. Seems like the natural place run it. All the pics I find (most are of the right side of the bike for some reason) show the cable coming high in front of the tank.:unsure:

More
30 Nov 2010 19:30 #414892 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Clutch Cable Routing
If you have the factory service manual, there might be a photo or two that might give clues as to where to route the cable. There may not be a photo specific for the routing, but photos of other stuff... make sense? Also, your GPz might be quite a bit different that the KZs.