FUEL IN CRANKCASE?

More
24 Nov 2010 18:11 #414102 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic FUEL IN CRANKCASE?
My thinking is that with engine running, some relatively minor fuel leakage past the float valve would likely be harmless and go unnoticed as normal fuel consumption continues, keeping the level at spec.

It's when the engine isn't running (such as parked overnight) that a petcock allowing fuel flow will permit the relatively minor fuel leakage past the float valve to continue on and on -- akin to a dripping faucet -- eventually rising above spec level to overflow level and possibly on to carb throat level due to non-existent or obstructed overflow circuit where admission to crankcase becomes a serious issue.

Am guessing this is one reason Kawasaki went to vacuum style petcock, which frees the rider from any responsibility of remembering to turn off the petcock after shutting off the engine.

Good Fortune. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2010 19:12 #414107 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic FUEL IN CRANKCASE?
All of which can be permanently remediated by the installation of a Pingel petcocok with an "off" position.Lol.bj

More
24 Nov 2010 20:13 - 24 Nov 2010 20:17 #414119 by Patton
Memo -- The issue of fuel entering crankcase isn't limited to when engine isn't running.

Excess fuel getting past float valve for whatever reason, and rising up into carb throat (due to obstructed or non-existent overflow circuit) and on into crankcase (via airbox or combustion chamber) --- may happen while riding the motorcycle.

Using a properly functioning vacuum petcock, or remembering to turn off a properly functioning manual (non-vacuum) petcock, should indeed disallow fuel from entering the carbs while the engine is not running. And which should prevent the annoyance of fuel dribbling out underneath the bike while the bike is parked, despite a leaky fuel valve.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 Nov 2010 20:17 by Patton.

More
25 Nov 2010 05:02 #414157 by 81kzjim
Replied by 81kzjim on topic FUEL IN CRANKCASE?
thanx becker, petcock is always in the on position. rebuilt petcock in the spring, i know it works well. could fuel be getting in past valves/rings? will comp.test reveal any info?

thanx jim.

1981 650 csr

More
25 Nov 2010 05:12 #414158 by 81kzjim
thanx patton. overflow all seem to be working properly. left the valve in the pri. position and fuel came out tubes. on to comp. test?

thanx jim.

1981 650 csr

More
25 Nov 2010 07:09 #414174 by Patton
Where raw fuel is entering the combustion chamber, it will flow down past the piston/rings into the crankcase, regardless of perfect compression.

The problem isn't compression.

The problem is fuel improperly rising up into the carb throat.

And it only takes one blocked overflow circuit in one carb.

Where all overflow circuits are indeed working properly, there shouldn't be any fuel rising past top of the overflow tubes inside the carb float bowls. Hence no fuel rising high enough to enter the carb throat and from there into the combustion chamber (or via airbox into the crankcase).

Z1 airbox allows some drainage down the crankcase vent tube into the crankcase. Later airbox designs seem to direct most if not all drainage to underneath the bike.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Nov 2010 10:29 #414185 by 81kzjim
thanx for all the ideas/help everyone. will check on carbs asap.

happy thanksgiving all.
jim.

1981 650 csr

More
25 Nov 2010 11:19 - 25 Nov 2010 11:26 #414187 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic FUEL IN CRANKCASE?
DoubleDub wrote:

Oh, and Jim, just a heads up. It's consider polite to not use all CAPS as it is the equivalent of yelling.
:kiss: :kiss: :woohoo: DOIT AGAIN DO IT AGAIN, see how much he can take! By the way a dub is what the younger generation calls a quarter ounce of weed :ohmy: :blink: that alone will bring out the caps :P
Does the bike have a vacuum petcock or a just a mechanical on/off/reserve?

Last edit: 25 Nov 2010 11:26 by nads.com.

More
27 Nov 2010 15:04 - 27 Nov 2010 15:04 #414423 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic FUEL IN CRANKCASE?
Here's another similar experience with my '87 GSXR 750:

NEVER LEAVE THE PETCOCK IN THE "PRI" POSITION ! Idiot me, for some reason I did this, and over 2 weeks of sitting, my engine and even my airbox filled with raw fuel. What a friggin nightmare !! I did now know what happened until I saw plooms of smoke exiting my exhaust. Luckily I only ran my engine for about 30 seconds. I drained almost 3 gallons of oil/gas ! I removed the valve cover and poured fresh oil all down the valvetrain, prime filled a new oil filter with oil, and even had to remove the exhaust to drain the residual oil in the pipe. All is ok now.

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy
Last edit: 27 Nov 2010 15:04 by Polar_Bus.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
27 Nov 2010 16:23 #414431 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic FUEL IN CRANKCASE?
nads.com wrote:

:kiss: :kiss: :woohoo: DOIT AGAIN DO IT AGAIN, see how much he can take! By the way a dub is what the younger generation calls a quarter ounce of weed :ohmy: :blink: that alone will bring out the caps :P

Hmm...thought that was a "doob" as in "doobie". Ah well.

More
27 Nov 2010 20:51 #414473 by Patton
Reminds of a certain bike club's new vests proudly inscribed "Road Angles," :lol:

and the leader's embroidered name was "Cool Dud." :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Nov 2010 05:05 #414517 by 81kzjim
holy shit i hope mine is not that bad. glad you found problem i will be cleaning mine up soon. then time to put her away for winter. i'll be going over bike front to back, thanx for info polar-bus.

jim.

1981 650 csr