Tight Spot In Transmission.

• Becker
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
14 Nov 2010 22:16 #412833 by Becker
Tight Spot In Transmission. was created by Becker
So I bought a KZ650F for cheap that the P.O. said he couldn't get running. He hacked up the wiring harness pretty bad looking for an electrical problem. Not exaclty a professional. He used super glue to hold wires together. Turns out it needed a new 2-3 coil so I put that on and timed the points. It started up and sounded like it was running great so I rolled it outside to ride it.

When I pulled the clutch in it killed. It acted like I tried to kick it into gear without pulling the clutch in. I pulled the clutch, sprocket, countershaft cover and all the stuff that goes with it. I noticed that someone has had this engine apart before. The case halves were sealed with a grey RTV sealant, the starter clutch shaft was missing the plate that locates the bearing on the clutch side, the needle bearing for the starter clutch was missing, and only one bolt was holding the oil pump in. I haven't even torn into the top end yet.

When I split the cases I found out that the locating rings for the mainshaft and countershaft bearings weren't there. So when I pulled the clutch in it slid the mainshaft over and made the gears try to engage which is what killed the motor. I didn't have any extra of those half rings so I got creative and cut an old piston ring into pieces that fit in the cases perfectly with a little force.

After that I reassembled the cases with just the transmission shafts, shift forks, shift drum, and shift mechanism. I tried to turn the shafts and shift through the gears but it would hit a tightspot every now and then. It wasn't a tightspot like a shaft was bent where it gets progressively tighter and then progressively less tight. It was more like a piece of debris was stuck in between teeth but I couldn't find any. Would a bent shift fork cause this?? How do you determine if the forks are bent?? I have another motor I think I might just pull the transmission out of a motor that is shot and put that in. Any answer or suggestions are appreciated.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2010 04:52 #412850 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Tight Spot In Transmission.
Becker wrote:

So I bought a KZ650F for cheap that the P.O. said he couldn't get running. He hacked up the wiring harness pretty bad looking for an electrical problem. Not exaclty a professional. He used super glue to hold wires together. Turns out it needed a new 2-3 coil so I put that on and timed the points. It started up and sounded like it was running great so I rolled it outside to ride it.

When I pulled the clutch in it killed. It acted like I tried to kick it into gear without pulling the clutch in. I pulled the clutch, sprocket, countershaft cover and all the stuff that goes with it. I noticed that someone has had this engine apart before. The case halves were sealed with a grey RTV sealant, the starter clutch shaft was missing the plate that locates the bearing on the clutch side, the needle bearing for the starter clutch was missing, and only one bolt was holding the oil pump in. I haven't even torn into the top end yet.

When I split the cases I found out that the locating rings for the mainshaft and countershaft bearings weren't there. So when I pulled the clutch in it slid the mainshaft over and made the gears try to engage which is what killed the motor. I didn't have any extra of those half rings so I got creative and cut an old piston ring into pieces that fit in the cases perfectly with a little force.

After that I reassembled the cases with just the transmission shafts, shift forks, shift drum, and shift mechanism. I tried to turn the shafts and shift through the gears but it would hit a tightspot every now and then. It wasn't a tightspot like a shaft was bent where it gets progressively tighter and then progressively less tight. It was more like a piece of debris was stuck in between teeth but I couldn't find any. Would a bent shift fork cause this?? How do you determine if the forks are bent?? I have another motor I think I might just pull the transmission out of a motor that is shot and put that in. Any answer or suggestions are appreciated.

Discoloration from heat [blue] & unusual wear at the base of the fork.

• Becker
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
15 Nov 2010 22:50 #412962 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic Tight Spot In Transmission.
Alright, thanks Larry.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport