oil pressure

More
10 Nov 2010 09:30 #412002 by Brad D
oil pressure was created by Brad D
i have a 81 kz 1000 lost oil pressure need to know if the gear thats on the crank that drives the oil pump is supposed to spin on crank.it feels like its suppose to spin like its on a bearing, but i have no oil pressure and the oil pump spins free too. was running fine then just lost oil pressure.had a clutch plate blow im wondering if a piece might have gotten between the gears and stop the pump from rotating.ive called dealers and talkd on other forums nobody seems to know if that gear is suppose to spin on the crank. please help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2010 10:59 #412022 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic oil pressure
I think the gear on the crank is the drive gear so it has to be fixed to the crank. If it just spins, I don't think it will work.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
10 Nov 2010 14:17 - 10 Nov 2010 14:21 #412044 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic oil pressure
I'm not 100% certain about that gear, but it should have some significant grunt to turn the oil pump at higher speeds.

The oil pump did not likely pick up anything and jam, as it has a fairly fine filter screen on the intake, but a piece may have jammed something else (like you suspect), and in that case, may require an overhaul.

Do you have the service manual???....

How do you know you've lost oil pressure??? Light stays on?? Check the oil pressure switch/corresponding wiring first before tearing things apart.

Or... pull pan, and turn over engine at the 17mm bolt behind ignition cover. Remove plugs :) . Watch pump/gears and make sure things are turning. Try gently jamming some rag between the gears to see if it stops/spins freely like you say.

Sounds like you may have busted the pin that goes in the large oil pump gear or something worse, on the crank side.

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 10 Nov 2010 14:21 by TeK9iNe.

More
10 Nov 2010 15:48 #412056 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic oil pressure
The gear should NOT turn independently of the crank.
It is pressed on to the crank and only turns when the crank turns.
Time for a replacement crank or a repair.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
10 Nov 2010 16:04 #412063 by Brad D
Replied by Brad D on topic oil pressure
thank you .now to tear crank apart or get a new one. clutch came apart must have got in between gears an messed somethin up.

More
10 Nov 2010 17:05 - 10 Nov 2010 17:06 #412077 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic oil pressure
I have 2 "BRAND NEW" J model crankshafts still in kawasaki boxes if you are in need.
Barry

1984 750 Turbo
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Nov 2010 17:06 by DFIGPZ.

More
11 Nov 2010 09:40 #412174 by Brad D
Replied by Brad D on topic oil pressure
How much? man this motor ran good too cant believe that gear problem just went out to garage to spin it again im bummed.i just want to drill an pin at times or shoot it lol.had other projects goin, now lookin for cams, 1075 pistons 83 gpz head and of coarse a crank. i pretty much dont have a bike again was going to keep this stock,but its in pieces now, sold my z1 and now im cursed.

More
11 Nov 2010 17:33 #412227 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic oil pressure
Brad D wrote:

How much? man this motor ran good too cant believe that gear problem just went out to garage to spin it again im bummed.i just want to drill an pin at times or shoot it lol.had other projects goin, now lookin for cams, 1075 pistons 83 gpz head and of coarse a crank. i pretty much dont have a bike again was going to keep this stock,but its in pieces now, sold my z1 and now im cursed.

Brad
email me direct at b.flood@myactv.net
Barry

1984 750 Turbo