29's vs 34's

More
07 Nov 2010 21:18 - 07 Nov 2010 21:27 #411582 by nads.com
29's vs 34's was created by nads.com
Anyone dynoed 34's against 29's with a stock kz head and motor? Horsepower seemed to jump from 81hp to 93hp with the only change I can see, being the switch from 26's to 34's. Or am I just high again? If I was a betting man I'd say the 29's could not keep up to them. And lastly I'd like to add, first off, that noone is going to say shit as though noone on here has done this yet. And second, if the 34's make more power ,, BAA HAAAHAAAHAAA! So put the matter to the dyno and hey? Why can't dynos be used more often by all the people who make money dealing in kz mechanics? Is it feared or is it too expensive? I would like to try 34's and I'm confident that they will work very well because THEY LET IN MORE AIR. Put the 29's down and step away from the motor. Punch out and go home. Why did kawi change to 34mm and completly ignore 29's? Cuz they are a junky invention. Any carb that is only 29mm is just that. And what do you do when the math says more opening? How you gonna get around that one? Maybe sell them on people by showing them the fascinating smooth bore and talk alot of sht. I don't care how fast they are, they are not big enough. And somebody stole my helmet at work tonight. Seen some people running around the roof tops across the parking lot, like those guys on tv. Tv never told me they steal helmets too! That pissed me off, I'm asking the store if they have cameras. That helmet meant absolutly...... nothing to me :woohoo: what a peice of crap. I'm pissed cuz some punk, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I hate it when people fk with me! They better not get caught that's all I can say. I'll make them run 29mm smoothies on their crotch rockets. That would be degrading as a .. sonsa bitc. When they find out the stuffing is gone and it smell like ass, it's gonna become a hot potato, busted off shield and the works. Hell ten years ago I passed out next to my bike, I don't know whether it didn't start or..... Woke up at five in the morning and the late night shop guys said when they looked over I was puking in my helmet. SCORE! That's so cool. And they let me drink water out of the sink! When you work at a shop thats a block from the bar, and your buddy's an alcoholic, your gonna get drunk, your gonna get high, and your gonna get laid. And your going to jail.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2010 21:27 by nads.com.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2010 21:30 - 07 Nov 2010 21:31 #411583 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic 29's vs 34's
i have GOT to hang and drink with this dude someday!

my god man!

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2010 21:31 by kawsakiman.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2010 02:06 #411586 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic 29's vs 34's
nads.com wrote:

Anyone dynoed 34's against 29's with a stock kz head and motor? Horsepower seemed to jump from 81hp to 93hp with the only change I can see, being the switch from 26's to 34's. Or am I just high again? If I was a betting man I'd say the 29's could not keep up to them. And lastly I'd like to add, first off, that noone is going to say shit as though noone on here has done this yet. And second, if the 34's make more power ,, BAA HAAAHAAAHAAA! So put the matter to the dyno and hey? Why can't dynos be used more often by all the people who make money dealing in kz mechanics? Is it feared or is it too expensive? I would like to try 34's and I'm confident that they will work very well because THEY LET IN MORE AIR. Put the 29's down and step away from the motor. Punch out and go home. Why did kawi change to 34mm and completly ignore 29's? Cuz they are a junky invention. Any carb that is only 29mm is just that. And what do you do when the math says more opening? How you gonna get around that one? Maybe sell them on people by showing them the fascinating smooth bore and talk alot of sht. I don't care how fast they are, they are not big enough. And somebody stole my helmet at work tonight. Seen some people running around the roof tops across the parking lot, like those guys on tv. Tv never told me they steal helmets too! That pissed me off, I'm asking the store if they have cameras. That helmet meant absolutly...... nothing to me :woohoo: what a peice of crap. I'm pissed cuz some punk, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I hate it when people fk with me! They better not get caught that's all I can say. I'll make them run 29mm smoothies on their crotch rockets. That would be degrading as a .. sonsa bitc. When they find out the stuffing is gone and it smell like ass, it's gonna become a hot potato, busted off shield and the works. Hell ten years ago I passed out next to my bike, I don't know whether it didn't start or..... Woke up at five in the morning and the late night shop guys said when they looked over I was puking in my helmet. SCORE! That's so cool. And they let me drink water out of the sink! When you work at a shop thats a block from the bar, and your buddy's an alcoholic, your gonna get drunk, your gonna get high, and your gonna get laid. And your going to jail.

I believe it :laugh:

More
08 Nov 2010 07:56 #411615 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic 29's vs 34's
I think with that switch they also went from points ignition to electronic and the head/cams were much improved also, so that might have contributed to the higher HP rating - I am not sure if all that extra power came from just a carb swap... that's a 15% power gain.

Am I right in saying the CV's and electronic ignition showed up in 1982? Almost the same time the GPZ series came on the scene...

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Nov 2010 08:22 #411619 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic 29's vs 34's
Hey, I remember 29 smoothbores in the mid to late70's.
Guys put them on their chopper SOHC 750 Hondas.
Lucky if they had the 810cc kit, better yet a CAM!
They were the thing to buy! Just to be cool!
1 guy had a weld on hardtail Z1 with a girder front end.

They are old like a points ignition!

I wish I had a set though.

Now they are a commodity, I seen them go from $300 to
4-5-6-$700 dollars.

I got to start visiting some old burnt out biker friends
I used to ride with! I'm sure there is 1 or 2 sets sitting, all dusty in one of their garages. If I find em, I am sure they will be free.
I'll give you an example of a motorcycle! 71 H1 500cc 2 stroke. Not that it needed 29 carbs, just funny.

It had a 16" Hog wheel, 2 or 3" over forks. 2 rectangular headlights, silver with ribbon paint job.
I actually sold that gas tank to someone in Denmark, and the frontend with drum brake to someone in Prince Edward Is. in Canada. About 8 or 9 yrs ago, when I started selling on ebay. Oh well. Went off on a tangent!
Must be the painpills I take, still recovering.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
08 Nov 2010 08:32 #411622 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 29's vs 34's
79-80 kzs ran 28mm carbs with pumps on them i believe,no 34s till j motor came out.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Nov 2010 08:41 #411625 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 29's vs 34's
i can see the call from the customer now:Weve got a problem with low water pressure,somebody told us we needed a bigger water service.
so they call a plumber from down south way who has a stack of 6" iron water main and some fittings really cheap,problem is he leaves the old 5/8" meter and lines inside the house.
so now they have lots of pressure at 1/8th turn of faucet but when they open it all the way the pipes hammer and they dont get any more water! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Nov 2010 09:21 #411628 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 29's vs 34's
Injected wrote:

...Am I right in saying the CV's and electronic ignition showed up in 1982? Almost the same time the GPZ series came on the scene...

Electronic ignition was introduced on Kaw large fours with the 1979 models KZ1000-A3 and D2.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Nov 2010 12:23 #411648 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic 29's vs 34's
PLUMMEN wrote:

79-80 kzs ran 28mm carbs with pumps on them i believe,no 34s till j motor came out.

79-26's
80's ran 28's and those ugly squirter pumps. lol;)

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
08 Nov 2010 12:26 #411649 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic 29's vs 34's
PLUMMEN wrote:

i can see the call from the customer now:Weve got a problem with low water pressure,somebody told us we needed a bigger water service.
so they call a plumber from down south way who has a stack of 6" iron water main and some fittings really cheap,problem is he leaves the old 5/8" meter and lines inside the house.
so now they have lots of pressure at 1/8th turn of faucet but when they open it all the way the pipes hammer and they dont get any more water! :woohoo:

Are you making a velocity vs flow argument, saying 34mm is to big for a stock carb?

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
08 Nov 2010 12:26 - 08 Nov 2010 12:27 #411650 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic 29's vs 34's
Patton wrote:

Injected wrote:

...Am I right in saying the CV's and electronic ignition showed up in 1982? Almost the same time the GPZ series came on the scene...

Electronic ignition was introduced on Kaw large fours with the 1979 models KZ1000-A3 and D2.

Good Fortune! :)

79 b3 model had stock points and sealed beam headligts, the 80's b4 switched to electronic points ignition that you couldn't set the timing on. But they had the replaceable elements for the headlights. They also changed the rear brake master cylinder that shows up underneath the sidecover and looks cool polished.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 08 Nov 2010 12:27 by saxjonz.

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
08 Nov 2010 12:40 #411652 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic 29's vs 34's
I'd like to know how many CFM a 29mm Smoothbore flows compared to the BS34's

Do you supose the percieved HP increse is actually due to increased throttle RESPONSE and not an ACTUAL power increase. I'm not talking maximum power output in the upper RPM range ( my bet is 29's make more top end power ) but low to mid range throttle response. I know my 34's are lacking in initial BITE by the seat of the pants dyno....HHHHHMMMMM

29's seem to be a popular carb for the 900 n' up bikes, but what about us lowly 650/750 owners ?

Not stirin any pots, just an honest question without pissin in anyones Cornflakes LOL.

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN