Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cam Chain Adjuster Gasket 19 Apr 2006 21:45 #41010

• xstreamcanadian
  • xstreamcanadian's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Can I remove the cam chain adjuster and replace the gasket without buggering the actual adjustment? If not is there a rule of thumb to adjust them? I just got my gasket kit and am trying to use as many as possible!! ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam Chain Adjuster Gasket 19 Apr 2006 22:28 #41017

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Ya,You can remove the assembly as a whole(2 bolts I believe)...but...why NOT check the adjustment on it,while You're in there...peace of mind knowing that it's all good...B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Cam Chain Adjuster Gasket 20 Apr 2006 06:13 #41058

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
sandy

I realize that it is adjustable, but the HOW of it all I dont know. Do you happen to know how to adjust it? Or if it gets out of whack when you remove it(see my original question)

Thanks

Cam Chain Adjuster Gasket 20 Apr 2006 06:46 #41071

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
XTC, all I would offer is...DON'T attempt to turn the engine over AT ALL whilst the adjuster is removed. You stand the chance of a cam sprocket jumpingon the chain.

Cam Chain Adjuster Gasket 20 Apr 2006 10:39 #41133

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
It is very easy to check/readjust the cam chain tension on the 650's.After colapsing the adjuster and locking it in with the locking bolt after removing it from engine. (if you have a manual adjuster)then reinstalling the adjuster,loosen the locking bolt so it makes contact with the cam chain(retighten locking bolt)then use a 17mm wrench on the crank (ignition/points side) and turn the motor over a couple of revelutions,then align the corner of the mechanical advancer plate after 2-3 tdc.f mark with the the timing mark on the case.Loosen and retighten locking bolt for adjuster,tighten jam nut and you are finished. It may seem hard but it isnt.

Good luck
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Cam Chain Adjuster Gasket 20 Apr 2006 19:37 #41274

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
I believe mine is an auto adjust on this bike, it is a 79 sr 650, my other bikes are both adjustable so that is great advice thanks, if i remove the auto adjuster, what is the re and re procedure to ensure it keeps being auto........

• Page: