Needing some help

More
18 Oct 2010 13:59 #407450 by bighamms
Needing some help was created by bighamms
Ok, I apologize in advance if this is a bit lengthy. Just trying to give as much detail as possible.

Purchased a 1976 kz400 S2 about 3 weeks ago. It was an old farm bike and before buying it, the farmer and I spent a couple of days riding it around his land. I brought it home and immediately started ordering parts. Because I didn't have much info about the history of the bike, I wanted to make sure I did an oil change right away. Well, it took about 1.5 wks for the filter to arrive. But like a kid with a new toy, I fired the bike up pretty much every day and occasionally road it around the neighborhood (5-10 minutes at a time).
so last Sunday my filter arrived and I changed the oil. While oil was draining, I decided to take off points assy and clutch cover and make sure everything looked good. and it did. So oil changed, clutch cover and points reinstalled and ready to fire it up. Give her a kick and the kick lever goes limp and just lays at the bottom of the stroke rather than recoiling as it should. So that's the first issue. After doing a ton of research i've discovered that is a uncommonly common issue and usually corrects itself once the bike starts. My bike is kick only, so i don't have the luxury of starting via a button.
so here's the second issue. I can't get the bike to start. This bike kicked over on the 1st or 2nd kick every time. Now it won't start at all. If I kick it 20 times, about every 5th or 6th time it kind of back fires a bit, but it's not turning over.

I'm needing some simple step by step things to try. It's gotta be something simple that I'm overlooking.

Thanks in advance,
rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
18 Oct 2010 14:23 #407451 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Needing some help
Since it ran find before you did an oil change, it would suggest that you did something else that casued the issue. You say you removed the points, did you get them reinstalled correctly? That woudl be the first place I would look. As to startinag, whithout the kickstarter the only way you can start it is by push start.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
18 Oct 2010 14:28 #407452 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Needing some help
I would have to guess that your non start issue is related to the removal and re-installation of the points. I'm not familiar with the setup on a KZ400, but that has to be the difference. Do you have a service manual? Click the link to see an online version: www.kz400.com/WorkshopManFrameset-5.html

Make sure that the points were correctly installed.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
18 Oct 2010 14:41 #407456 by bighamms
Replied by bighamms on topic Needing some help
@all... I've gone back over the points several times. they are gapped correctly. However, I'm not sure if the advancer is fulling opening at the points plate covers it during operation. It has to be the points. I can't see any other reason why it wouldn't start.

Side question... it's it possible to get an email notification when someone replies to a post? I couldn't find that option in my profile.

More
18 Oct 2010 14:48 #407457 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Needing some help
bighamms wrote:

Ok, I apologize in advance if this is a bit lengthy. Just trying to give as much detail as possible.

Purchased a 1976 kz400 S2 about 3 weeks ago. It was an old farm bike and before buying it, the farmer and I spent a couple of days riding it around his land. I brought it home and immediately started ordering parts. Because I didn't have much info about the history of the bike, I wanted to make sure I did an oil change right away. Well, it took about 1.5 wks for the filter to arrive. But like a kid with a new toy, I fired the bike up pretty much every day and occasionally road it around the neighborhood (5-10 minutes at a time).
so last Sunday my filter arrived and I changed the oil. While oil was draining, I decided to take off points assy and clutch cover and make sure everything looked good. and it did. So oil changed, clutch cover and points reinstalled and ready to fire it up. Give her a kick and the kick lever goes limp and just lays at the bottom of the stroke rather than recoiling as it should. So that's the first issue. After doing a ton of research i've discovered that is a uncommonly common issue and usually corrects itself once the bike starts. My bike is kick only, so i don't have the luxury of starting via a button.
so here's the second issue. I can't get the bike to start. This bike kicked over on the 1st or 2nd kick every time. Now it won't start at all. If I kick it 20 times, about every 5th or 6th time it kind of back fires a bit, but it's not turning over.

I'm needing some simple step by step things to try. It's gotta be something simple that I'm overlooking.

Thanks in advance,
rob

I'm guessing it's:

I decided to take off points assy

easy to get the breaker wire grounded.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
18 Oct 2010 14:53 #407459 by bighamms
Replied by bighamms on topic Needing some help
@bountyhunter....good point. taking the plate off involves a bit of twisting so it could definitely be grounding out. I also reread the manual and noticed that there is a specific way in which the cam must be fitted on the advancer assy. I'll take it off again and pay a bit more attention. Hopefully this gets her running. I've got a garage full of "cafe" parts that I'm ready to install and this is slowing me down.

More
18 Oct 2010 20:04 #407518 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Needing some help
bighamms wrote:

Side question... it's it possible to get an email notification when someone replies to a post? I couldn't find that option in my profile.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: